Not open for further replies.

LostSoul

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): LR 6.14

As part of my preliminary learning experience I have identified that imports of RAW images certainly do not match jpegs seen in the cameras. I have seen and read that LR applies its own 'adobe standard' defaults on import and that this can be changed. Now as LR is the current tool I am learning to 'process' the images I want to fine tune the way things work.

I read in one Post from Cletus (Clee01l - Guru) that to overcome the issue, users could from within the Develop module apply LR preset called 'Zeroed'. Cletus did say that it probably warranted a thread of its own and I don't want to complicate that thread so felt it better to start this thread.

I found the advised setting in the left hand 'Presets' under 'Lightroom general presets'. Moving the mouse pointer over the presets gives an indication of the impact they would have in the 'Navigator' image some presets were markedly strange (bit too much for my tastes).

How are these presets linked to the settings available in the right hand 'camera calibration', 'Lens correction', 'Detail' and 'Tone curve' panels?

I am looking to find or create a tuned preset that brings me to a better starting point and minimises other processing needs based upon the camera that I have imported images from.

I hope I have explained myself clearly enough.

Phil.

Personally, I'd suggest doing some experimenting first. Take a bunch of test shots, import them without any develop preset initially, then take them into Develop and start comparing the effects of applying different profiles, comparing the default Adobe Standard with any camera matching profiles in the Camera Calibration section. If you find that you prefer one over Adobe Standard, check the other images as well to make sure it's a consistent thing. Do you have different cameras, as you might have different preferences. For example, using my Canon 5DIII I'm quite happy with the Adobe Standard profile as default, whereas with my Olympus I prefer the Camera Natural profile. I also think the new Auto Settings feature is a pretty good starting point, so I now have 2 different starting develop presets (one for the Canon, one for the Oly), which I can apply during import. Those presets can also (and do) contain other settings such as enabling Lens Corrections (Canon only).

But testing and experimenting is the key. Once you've established what you like, that's the time to start incorporating that either into a user preset or by changing the default develop settings.

The improved Auto feature only applies to Classic 7. 6.14 standalone did not get this update.

Which Camera system do you shoot with? As for matching what you see in the LCD. There is nothing that can't be done but that can be more difficult because how would you do that? Look at your LCD and try to adjust the colours. I shoot with Canon and like their colours. If you scroll down in the windows of LR you will find Camera Calibration. The profile will say Adobe Standard but there is a drop down box which lists your camera profiles. I find Canon's are very close to Canon's actual software. You can try those and see how you like them.

As for being more efficient I don't use presets. I use something called Default Develop Settings. On the upper bar choose Develop - Set Default Settings. You will see a dialogue box appear and you will see Update To Current Settings. If you click on this the system will remember all your base settings and auto apply them whenever you import images. I have adjustments in the Basic, HSL/Colour, Detail, Lens Correction and Camera Calibration panels that always Auto apply at import.

There is a few ways of doing this. For me all the panels except Detail are global adjustments. Sharpening and NR in the Detail panel are ISO specific. In order to manage this my ISO settings are 1/1. 100, 200, 400, 800 and so on. If I used ISO 1 /3 there would be too many to keep up with.

In the top bar choose Lightroom - Preferences choose the Presets panel. Here you will find options to set defaults to a cameras serial number and ISO. If you don't check the ISO box then your settings will apply globally to all ISO's and you may have to fine tune some settings later.

I have both ISO and serial number checked. I maintain two sets of files that are my base settings. All my files are stored on an external HD except those. They are on my HD and in the LR folder where the catalogue lives. One set for each camera and all the ISO's. 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 and so on. I make all the changes that want to auto apply using those files only.

This is just another approach. Nothing wrong with Presets but I find using Defaults faster. If you shoot Canon I can tell you a few things I did with the colour settings.

Last edited:
I just realized that you listed 6x / CC 2015 for your version. I missed the 6x and corrected the first paragraph in my previous post. Sorry about that.

Hi Jim,

I have been experimenting and learning with LR to see the effects of the Develop panel adjustments. To be fair I am finding some recommendations for using LR quite conflicting which doesn't help.

Some people say switch everything in the camera OFF as these settings affect the images for LR import and then go on to suggest how to setup profiles. Given the range of settings with camera's that does sound to have some merit so that we are only working on things in one place hence I was considering trying it. Hence, I wanted to know how, if and what Develop panel settings could be put into a profile that could be used on import. Secondly how to do it?

I realise that in actuality I may have to adjust settings again after this but it would be a good starting point. At present the RAW files do not render with the life of the camera jpegs, however if I stuck with jpeg I lose other opportunities to recover features that the RAW files hold.

Zenon,

No need for any apologies at all. I shoot a mixture of camera's but quite like Fuji cameras that remind me of older Yashica cameras, no idea why but maybe the technical feel of them.

I can't find a list of camera profiles in the camera calibration panel, perhaps this is a feature of CC and not in the 6.14 standalone? That said I like your Default develop suggestion and will look into that too. Thank you.

Last edited:
Some people say switch everything in the camera OFF as these settings affect the images for LR import and then go on to suggest how to setup profiles. Given the range of settings with camera's that does sound to have some merit so that we are only working on things in one place hence I was considering trying it. Hence, I wanted to know how, if and what Develop panel settings could be put into a profile that could be used on import. Secondly how to do it?

You talk about setting up "profiles", though I wonder if you mean "presets"? These are different: a camera profile is what is used during the raw conversion process, taking into account what it known about the specific characteristics of a camera model, in order to produce the "best" resulting rendition. For each camera that Adobe supports, they will create their own "default" profile (which tends to be more conservative than some other raw converters), and for some cameras (not all, mainly Canon and Nikon) they also develop some additional profiles with attempts to match the various picture styles which can be used in camera. A preset, OTOH, is merely a collection of specific develop settings which you want to apply....so for instance if you almost always add some Clarity, or turn on Lens Corrections, or add some additional sharpening, or you always start by applying Auto Settings....these types of things can be incorporated into a develop preset, which you can either apply to all images during the import process or to selected images later during the editing process.

Presets are easy to setup, start with an unaltered image then make only the changes that you want to incorporate into a preset, then click on the "+" at the top of the Presets panel (left hand side of the Develop module), then follow the instructions. The preset will then be available in the Presets panel for you to select. And of course you can create different presets for different occasions.

You can also create your own specific profiles for your camera, very useful if for example you often shoot in difficult lighting conditions. I'd suggest that at this stage you concentrate more on the develop module, editing some pictures and trying to see what adjustments you find yourself always applying.....these are the things you can then build into your own presets.

The "advice" about switching all in-camera settings off is built around the premise that you are shooting in Raw (if you shoot in Jpeg only, then obviously you'd want to use the camera settings to help the camera produce the best result). But LR ignores (mostly) any in camera settings (e.g. picture style, contrast boost, extra sharpening, etc.) when it does the raw conversion, so it makes little point to set them, unless you shoot Raw + Jpeg and want the best jpeg for comparison when developing your raw file. Personally I don't do that, so my camera settings are always at default settings.

Profiles are located in the bottom window. Mine is Camera Standard which means my Canon camera's profile. You can stay with Adobe or pick your camera's profile. Once you select a profile you can either create a Preset or a Default. With a preset you have to select all and apply it or pick one file and sync. If you set up a Default it auto applies at import.

As you see I use Camera Standard but I have all the same options that Canon's native software offers. LR automatically recognizes your camera and offers the profiles.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 625
  • Screen-Shot-2018-01-12-at-9.53.15-AM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2018-01-12-at-9.53.15-AM.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 679
Thanks for your replies and suggestions. Sorry I haven't answered until now chaps, I have taken these points on board.

Fuji don't seem to have any profile presets for my old camera in RAW where Nikon does. ( so that I think explains them appearing and not appearing in the calibration lists and matching the preset option names in the camera/ or not :) ). I like the 'Chrome' setting in the camera it wasn't exactly Kodakchrome but nice.

I was looking to find a way of setting up some settings that would apply on import depending which camera source I used ( probably ahead of schedule in learning curve ).

I have worked out a few settings for the Fuji that seem to help, but I have yet to make these into 'user defined presets' that I can apply.

I am working hard on understanding the fine tuning options in LR Develop module but am coming to a conclusion that to get old fashioned slide projector size images from digital on a LCD\LED screen is finding the limits of what can be done and I don't think this is an issue with LR as although it can tweak things it is limited by the fact that to enhance one thing often (seemingly) adversely impacts another so it must be more to do with the ability of the camera sensor for LR to be able to help in post processing. The issue is made much more pronounced when cropping is desired and further limited by the sensor pixel count.

And I haven't got onto selective LR techniques for dodging and burning.... so much to get to grips with yet.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back