• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Dead Lightroom 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_24

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I’ve been using Lightroom for well over 10 years and owned Lightroom 6.14

About two months ago when opening the app I got a message saying that “Adobe Applications Manager was damaged or Missing.” And I needed to download it with a provided link.

So I downloaded it.

Then it told me that Lightroom couldn’t be opened because I wasn’t connected to the Creative Cloud. In an effort to restore the software to its previous functionality I uninstalled and reinstalled it from the original disk.

Now I get a message:
“ The serial number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx is already in use by the maximum allowed computers. You must deactivate another computer or provide another valid
serial number to use Photoshop Lightroom 6 again on this computer.”

Adobe Support was worse than useless saying they didn’t support Lightroom 6 and that they weren’t traing on my problem. So they tried to sent me to a Lightroom Classic forum for whatever help I could find.

I feel that Adobe sabotaged my software in order to force me into a subscription.

My guess is that Shantanu has a new boat payment and is being a good Capitalist.

Is there any help or hope of returning to owning what I paid for?

My understanding would be that a "perpetual licence" to use the software is not the same thing as "perpetual support" from the vendor.

This is true for every software vendor and every software license. Microsoft no longer provides support for most of it OS versions. I’m sure that I have a valid license to Windows v3.1 But is would be unrealistic for me to try to install ie on a state of the art 64bit Lenovo or Dell machine. However if I still had the the Machine that ran Windows 3.1 I would expect that I would not have any difficulty installing it on that machine or running apps that were compatible with it.

Support is not ever going to be perpetual even for a perpetual software license.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What part of "Support is no longer available for your product version." is so difficult to understand? The only people supporting Lightroom V6 are users like you and me. If the users in this forum (not Adobe) can not solve your problem for you then you can't expect Adobe to come to your aid on a produce that was discontinued years ago.
Let’s see what I do understand.

My problem is not with Lightroom 6. My problem is a general software issue of activation that Adobe deals with on a regular basis. Toyota still supports my ancient Sienna. It was a choice to not support the software. Since a system was already in place the question is why.

I understand Adobe doesn’t support Lightroom 6 because owners have equity.

I understand my issue began with a message from Adobe saying that Adobe Application Manager was damaged or missing and I needed to download a new one. I did it. My mistake

I understand that I had equity in Lightroom 6. I understand that equity is not something that Corporations like at all.

I understand that the perfect consumer has no equity. They rent their homes, lease their cars and subscribes to their music, movies, books and software.

I understand that subscription is the new modality in our economy and it gets more expensive all the time. Witness Prime, Netflix, Acorn et al. Adobe is simply part of a trend

I understand when you stop paying you lose your work.

I understand Adobe keeps telling me to subscribe to Creative Cloud.

I understand I’m not profitable to Adobe and needed to be derailed.

Let’s see what I do understand.
…I understand that I had equity in Lightroom 6.
Actually, you have purchased a License to run Software. This is not unlike the license your state has issued you to drive a motor vehicle on public roads. That license is out of date. You don’t own LR6, you never did. That License has expired.

If you own a car, the license to drive it on the roadway expires after one year. To continue driving that car you need to renew the license. You can’t transfer that license to another car.

I’m sorry you don’t like the rules, but you agreed to them when you purchased the License to LR6.

You have been given several options here. None of which involve intervention by Adobe because Adobe no longer supports your license.

Most major software vendors have gone to the subscription model because it generates steady revenue. I understand that Apple is even considering going to a subscription model for the iPhone (Hardware)

The vast majority of people using Lightroom today have adopted the subscription model. If you don’t like the rules, you are free to move on. There is other image processing software. Some even offer a ‘perpetual’ license.

A subtle modification-
Adobe only allows LR to be ACTIVATED on two computers using a single license.
There is no limit to the number of Installs you can have (3,4,5-if you want)
*Un-installing Lr6 (Perpetual) App does NOT De-activate it. And a fresh re-install will seek another Activation count.
The big problem now (for Lr6) is that Adobe completely controls the Activations for perpetual Lr6- You can only Reset the Activation count by chatting to an Adobe rep.
(Subscriptions are different- The Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App controls activations by the user Signing-in or Signing-out).
Don't I know it. I've chatted and chatted. Some reps have told me they don't know how to do it. Others simply hung up,

Actually, you have purchased a License to run Software. This is not unlike the license your state has issued you to drive a motor vehicle on public roads. That license is out of date. You don’t own LR6, you never did. That License has expired.

If you own a car, the license to drive it on the roadway expires after one year. To continue driving that car you need to renew the license. You can’t transfer that license to another car.

I’m sorry you don’t like the rules, but you agreed to them when you purchased the License to LR6.

You have been given several options here. None of which involve intervention by Adobe because Adobe no longer supports your license.

Most major software vendors have gone to the subscription model because it generates steady revenue. I understand that Apple is even considering going to a subscription model for the iPhone (Hardware)

The vast majority of people using Lightroom today have adopted the subscription model. If you don’t like the rules, you are free to move on. There is other image processing software. Some even offer a ‘perpetual’ license.

I'd still own my car. The city let's me own it. It my choice to operate it. I do own my house. Equity is one time. License is variable. Subscription is forever.

And I've transferred my license to new cars many times

This is becoming an utterly useless discussion. It is as it is. We are not Adobe and we can not change it.

I agree the perpetual license applies to possessing a license to use the software, in this case use of LR 6.14. However, Adobe apparently has refused to allow Michael the ability to the continued use of the "perpetual license" by not providing an activation reset. It seems a bit of a stretch to characterize obtaining an activation reset as support. In fact, the use of the word perpetual connotates forever, which also implies any incidentals that support the stated claim of being perpetual. Of course, providing that reset is also based on complete removal of the software from one of two installations.

When LR was removed from my Win XP computer, with the objective of installing LR on a Win 10 computer thereafter, my method employed a special Uninstaller app that also employed a deep scan of the computer looking for any leftover files, upon which numerous LR related files were found and subsequently deleted. Adobe support was then called to obtain a reset.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, I think that she is possibly your only hope. I would kindly reach back out to her and see if she can give you some possible outcomes that are available to her and a timeframe for when they could possibly occur. It may mean sitting tight for a bit, but if Victoria specifically recommended her, then she probably has some options for you. And I do not see the discussion above resolving your issue so why not concentrate on the best, and possibly only, outcome. I wish you well and am sorry you initially had software corruption. Although I do have one last thought. Do you have any image backups before this corruption? I am wondering if you reimaged your machine with it if things would work as intended. No guarantees, but is is something to consider. But do take an image of your current state if you do go this route.

Good luck,

--Ken

Perpetual license has no meaning or substance if the provider of the license refuses to permit its continued use. Strict adherence to the definition of perpetual means forever. In this instance if the fine print indicates that at some point in the future support for the license will be terminated, then perpetual by itself cannot be a definer of the license. It seems that a more appropriate description should have been "Limited perpetual license". Would love to learn what a lawyer has to say about this subject?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back