• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Dead Lightroom 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_24

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I’ve been using Lightroom for well over 10 years and owned Lightroom 6.14

About two months ago when opening the app I got a message saying that “Adobe Applications Manager was damaged or Missing.” And I needed to download it with a provided link.

So I downloaded it.

Then it told me that Lightroom couldn’t be opened because I wasn’t connected to the Creative Cloud. In an effort to restore the software to its previous functionality I uninstalled and reinstalled it from the original disk.

Now I get a message:
“ The serial number xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx is already in use by the maximum allowed computers. You must deactivate another computer or provide another valid
serial number to use Photoshop Lightroom 6 again on this computer.”

Adobe Support was worse than useless saying they didn’t support Lightroom 6 and that they weren’t traing on my problem. So they tried to sent me to a Lightroom Classic forum for whatever help I could find.

I feel that Adobe sabotaged my software in order to force me into a subscription.

My guess is that Shantanu has a new boat payment and is being a good Capitalist.

Is there any help or hope of returning to owning what I paid for?

So the question is, how many computers do you have or have had LR 6 installed? Adobe only allows two computers to have LR6 installed, and even then one of the computers must be turned off. Thus, only one LR6 can be operated at one time. For example, I have LR6.14 installed on both Win 7 and Win 10 computers. Here is what I had to do when I replaced my old computer with the Win 10 computer. I reconnected my old Win XP computer to the internet, opened LR 6.14 and then did a Help/Sign Out. There was no deactivate notation to click on. That did the trick.

I'm on two, My desktop and a laptop which is off unless I'm traveling. Evidently uninstalling doesn't deactivate the program so reinstalling adds an activation. I can't open Lightroom so I can't go online to deactivate.

Catch 22

Thanks for the suggestion. It says I've no activated devices. Can that be correct?
Good question. I'd try installing LR6 again and see if it will install this time. If not, then I imagine there is something with the Applications Manager software, but as I do not use a Mac, I cannot advise on how to address that. So, give it a try and report back. If it is still an issue, there are a lot of Mac users, including many of the moderators, who should be able to advise accordingly.

Good luck,

--Ken

Thanks I've sent a message. Evidently if you uninstall and re-install without deactivation reentering the serial number adds an activation. Who knew?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.12.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.12.27 AM.png
    292.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.13.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.13.21 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 153
These messages tell it all. Adobe Account Manager disabled my spftware then I get these messages. Tells tyou everything you need to know about Adobe and modern American Corporations. Greedy and ex[plotive. They evident;y have signed me up automatically. They also tell me to seek help in a forum then tell me it wouldn't work

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.12.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.12.27 AM.png
    292.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.13.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.13.21 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 1.00.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 1.00.08 PM.png
    261.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.55.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.55.24 PM.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 140
Have you heard back from Carissa in the link I gave you? The chat line is no help on this. Where did you purchase LR6 initially?

Have you heard back from Carissa in the link I gave you? The chat line is no help on this. Where did you purchase LR6 initially?
I’ve sent a message but not heard back. I believe I bought it directly from Adobe. . I started in early 2009 to catalogue an ancient Mississippi project that wound up as a book published by The Library of Congress

I'd just hold fire for the minute. Her note on that thread says it may take up to a week due to volume.

I'm on two, My desktop and a laptop which is off unless I'm traveling. Evidently uninstalling doesn't deactivate the program so reinstalling adds an activation. I can't open Lightroom so I can't go online to deactivate.

Catch 22
Not quite certain what you mean by your sentence, "Evidently uninstalling doesn't deactivate the program, et al." Did you actually uninstall LR 6.14 from one of the computers, and if you did, what method was used to do uninstall? The uninstall method might be important. For example, could it be that some LR files are still on the computer and what remains might be preventing installation on a different computer? I know that using LR's uninstall app does not remove every last bit of the software. This was confirmed in my instance when using a second software removal app after LR was removed from my Win XP computer. The LR uninstall app deleted a majority of the software. However, using the secondary uninstall app showed there were additional LR files that needed to be removed. You may want to double check if there are any LR files that remain on the computer from which LR was removed. Just a thought. Another thought is, why wasn't an attempt made to repair the Adobe Application Manager using the original LR 6 disc?

Not quite certain what you mean by your sentence, "Evidently uninstalling doesn't deactivate the program, et al." Did you actually uninstall LR 6.14 from one of the computers, and if you did, what method was used to do uninstall? The uninstall method might be important. For example, could it be that some LR files are still on the computer and what remains might be preventing installation on a different computer? I know that using LR's uninstall app does not remove every last bit of the software. This was confirmed in my instance when using a second software removal app after LR was removed from my Win XP computer. The LR uninstall app deleted a majority of the software. However, using the secondary uninstall app showed there were additional LR files that needed to be removed. You may want to double check if there are any LR files that remain on the computer from which LR was removed. Just a thought. Another thought is, why wasn't an attempt made to repair the Adobe Application Manager using the original LR 6 disc?
Apparently you have to sign out under the help menu to deactivate and yes I used the LR uninstaller. And yes I went into library and preferences. I reinstalled from my original disk

Apparently you have to sign out under the help menu to deactivate and yes I used the LR uninstaller. And yes I went into library and preferences. I reinstalled from my original disk
What you didn't respond to is the question about searching for any LR left over files. As previously noted the use of LR uninstaller did not remove 100% of LR files from my computer. A second uninstaller program was used that searched the entire computer for any remaining LR related files. I no longer recall the number found but there were several that remained after initially using the LR uninstaller. By the way, I did not use my original copy of LR6 to reinstall the app on my Win 10 computer. I used a link to LR 6.14 that was for a trial version upon which one could enter the serial number of the owned LR software. If you would like to try using the uninstaller app that removed all traces of LR files from the computer e-mail me personally and it will be provided. Hopefully, this can be the solution to your problem.

What you didn't respond to is the question about searching for any LR left over files. As previously noted the use of LR uninstaller did not remove 100% of LR files from my computer. A second uninstaller program was used that searched the entire computer for any remaining LR related files. I no longer recall the number found but there were several that remained after initially using the LR uninstaller. By the way, I did not use my original copy of LR6 to reinstall the app on my Win 10 computer. I used a link to LR 6.14 that was for a trial version upon which one could enter the serial number of the owned LR software. If you would like to try using the uninstaller app that removed all traces of LR files from the computer e-mail me personally and it will be provided. Hopefully, this can be the solution to your problem.
I searched and removed all preferences and application support files in Library. I'm on a Mac

So here's what Adobe says.

First they say I've a problem But they can't solve it which they obviously could if they wanted to. But it doesn't make them any money.

Second They send me to a forum that they tell me can't help. Disingenuous.

Third They tell me to subscribe to their cloud service at a subscription rate that is only going to increase in the future.(See Prime and Netflix) If I stop paying I lose access to my work. If you cancel early there's a penalty payment although Adobe hasn't suffered any type of loss.

Adobe joins the rest of corporations in greedy application of evil

We’re Here to Help
Dear Michael,
Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care. Your case is still open, and we want to be sure your request has been addressed. Please let us know if you need more help or would like to provide additional information.
Here are some details about the request you submitted:
  • Case Number: ADB-23749121-N4P3
  • Issue: Activation
This case will remain open for the next 3 days to give you some time to respond.
If you prefer, you can take one of these quick actions:
Dear Michael,

Thank you for replying us back. We understand that you want to increase activation count for Lightroom 6.

It appears that you have valid Lightroom 6 serial number. Support is no longer available for your product version. Phone and chat support is not available for free or discontinued software or services. You are welcome to visit our Community Support Forum: https://community.adobe.com/ where you can post questions, and potentially find answers for your product version. The forums are updated by other Adobe product users, worth noting that the community experts will not be able to assist with : registration, activation, download, and/or installation issues.

We suggest you upgrade to the Creative Cloud membership which includes access to new versions and features as they are released and the Creative Cloud membership keeps your apps current at no additional cost.

We can offer you a Creative Cloud Photography plan for $9.99/month excluding taxes per month with 7 day trial that will give you access to three applications (Photoshop, Lightroom and Adobe Bridge) on 2 machines one at a time and that too multiple platforms. You can use it either on mac or windows. You will get the cloud storage of 20 GB so that you can store the data on cloud as it is more safe and the best advantage of subscription model is there is no extra cost for updates and upgrades so you can always use the latest version of all the software's.

First they say I've a problem But they can't solve it which they obviously could if they wanted to. But it doesn't make them any money.

Third They tell me to subscribe to their cloud service at a subscription rate that is only going to increase in the future.(See Prime and Netflix) If I stop paying I lose access to my work. If you cancel early there's a penalty payment although Adobe hasn't suffered any type of loss.

We’re Here to Help
Dear Michael,
Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care. Your case is still open, and we want to be sure your request has been addressed. Please let us know if you need more help or would like to provide additional information.
This case will remain open for the next 3 days to give you some time to respond.
Dear Michael,

Thank you for replying us back. We understand that you want to increase activation count for Lightroom 6.

It appears that you have valid Lightroom 6 serial number. Support is no longer available for your product version. Phone and chat support is not available for free or discontinued software or services. You are welcome to visit our Community Support Forum: https://community.adobe.com/ where you can post questions, and potentially find answers for your product version. The forums are updated by other Adobe product users, worth noting that the community experts will not be able to assist with : registration, activation, download, and/or installation issues.

We suggest you upgrade to the Creative Cloud membership which includes access to new versions and features as they are released and the Creative Cloud membership keeps your apps current at no additional cost.

We can offer you a Creative Cloud Photography plan for $9.99/month excluding taxes per month with 7 day trial that will give you access to three applications (Photoshop, Lightroom and Adobe Bridge) on 2 machines one at a time and that too multiple platforms. You can use it either on mac or windows. You will get the cloud storage of 20 GB so that you can store the data on cloud as it is more safe and the best advantage of subscription model is there is no extra cost for updates and upgrades so you can always use the latest version of all the software's.
What part of "Support is no longer available for your product version." is so difficult to understand? The only people supporting Lightroom V6 are users like you and me. If the users in this forum (not Adobe) can not solve your problem for you then you can't expect Adobe to come to your aid on a produce that was discontinued years ago.

We’re Here to Help
Dear Michael,
Dear Michael,

Have you heard back from Victoria's contact at all?

--Ken

Can I throw in some facts (as I know them)-

1) Lightroom v6 (Perpetual) is not 'supported' by Adobe. (Ask for "Support"- you won't get it!)
2) Lr6 cannot be downloaded direct from Adobe.
3) Lr6 cannot be updated direct from Adobe.
Downloads for v6.14 are only currently available via links provided by- https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-lightroom-6-cc-direct-download-links.html (This may NOT last!)
4) Lr6 cannot be operated with a Serial Number only. It also needs online activation.
4a) Lr6 can be installed as either a Perpetual version or as a Creative Cloud Subscription.
If you install the Creative Cloud Desktop App (eg. for a trial of Lr-Classic) then Lr6 will become a 'subscription' version (and a 30day Trial!).
5) Lr6 must be ACTIVATED to continue using (beyond a Trial term)
6) You cannot Activate online to Adobe within the App.
7) You cannot De-activate online to Adobe within the App. (Un-install does NOT de-activate)
Activations are controlled entirely by Adobe. Any install of Lr6 (even on the same computer) will incur another activation. Only TWO activations are allowed.
Activating Lr6 can only be Activated/ Deactivated by a CHAT to a sympathetic Support staff member, (ASK ONLY FOR A RESET OF ACTIVATIONS), or a Private Message to Careeesa who is sympathetic- (as stated by Victoria in above post)
8) Lr6 is not known to be compatible with Windows-11. It will not install in Mac iOS (BigSur, Catalina, Monterey)
It really is the End of the Line for v6 without jumping all the 'hurdles'.
And Lightroom-Classic v11 in the Photography Plan (20GB) is really the only way forward. (And you get Adobe Photoshop, and Lightroom-Mobile, etc, etc, thrown in the bundle!)

Just to clarify Michael_24's actions thus far. LR 6.14 appears to have been installed on two computers, a desktop and a laptop. He opened LR (doesn't indicate which computer used) and received the message, "Adobe Applications Manager was damaged or missing." Why that happened can be classified as another issue not fully explained. He then describes receiving other massages but most pointedly the one about the serial number being used by the maximum allowed. For clarification, Adobe only allows LR to be installed on two computers using a single license. Even then LR can only be used on one computer at a time. Michael_24 uninstalls LR from one of the computers and then attempts reinstalling the application. Apparently, he did not initially uninstall LR in the correct manner as he received a message that he first has to uninstall it from the computer. As a result, he has used his allotted number of 2 installs. I don't know about the others who have followed and responded to this post, I'm still not certain LR has ever been correctly uninstalled. Based on Michael's reporting Adobe is refusing to honor its commitment to those using a perpetual license. My understanding of the word "perpetual" is that it means forever, notwithstanding the comment from clee01l that "support is no longer available for your product version".

Adobe only allows LR to be installed on two computers using a single license.
A subtle modification-
Adobe only allows LR to be ACTIVATED on two computers using a single license.
There is no limit to the number of Installs you can have (3,4,5-if you want)
*Un-installing Lr6 (Perpetual) App does NOT De-activate it. And a fresh re-install will seek another Activation count.
The big problem now (for Lr6) is that Adobe completely controls the Activations for perpetual Lr6- You can only Reset the Activation count by chatting to an Adobe rep.
(Subscriptions are different- The Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App controls activations by the user Signing-in or Signing-out).

My understanding of the word "perpetual" is that it means forever, notwithstanding the comment from clee01l that "support is no longer available for your product version".
My understanding would be that a "perpetual licence" to use the software is not the same thing as "perpetual support" from the vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back