• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Dare I Ask

Rob26

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic 9.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Still waiting to upgrade my elderly iMac 2010. When the new Mac Mini arrived I thought it would be the ideal replacement together with a good quality monitor.
So I waited for the Lightroom classic to be updated to run fully on Apple silicone. Still waiting and waiting, beginning to wonder what's happening? Until it is available it would be difficult to decide on which to get 8 or 16gb memory. Now rumours are flying around of a new iMac.
This needs to be a long term purchase so I must get it right. so now I am concerned that maybe it would be better to go with Intel processor instead.Or just show
an abundance of patience.
Rob

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Still waiting to upgrade my elderly iMac 2010. When the new Mac Mini arrived I thought it would be the ideal replacement together with a good quality monitor.
So I waited for the Lightroom classic to be updated to run fully on Apple silicone. Still waiting and waiting, beginning to wonder what's happening? Until it is available it would be difficult to decide on which to get 8 or 16gb memory. Now rumours are flying around of a new iMac.
This needs to be a long term purchase so I must get it right. so now I am concerned that maybe it would be better to go with Intel processor instead.Or just show
an abundance of patience.
Rob
See the system requirements for LrC 10,
“The minimum macOS now supported is 10.14 (Mojave) – 10.13 (High Sierra) is no longer supported.

RAM has also increased to a minimum of 8GB, with a recommendation of 16GB.”

New computer 16gb or more also pay attention to the GPU specs needed.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Eventually, Apple will replace all of their line up with M1 chipped Macs or the successor to M1. Lightroom Classic will run now in "Rosetta" mode. And eventually (soon perhaps ?) a native M1 version of LrC will be released. If you are ready for a new Mac. and the Mac that you want is an M1 Mac, nothing should stop you as there will always be improvements in technology. Intel Macs will be around for many years and it will be a long time before they become obsolete. And intel Mac is probably not selling well in anticipation of an M1 replacement. So, Intel Macs ought to be selling at a discount and there is no harm in buying one of these now. You will be ready for another new computer long before the current Intel models go obsolete.

Rob26

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Thanks for the reply very helpful. I have almost convinced myself that a Mac Mini plus Eizo 24" monitor would be a good route.
The weakest link might then only be the M1 mini and I could replace a few years down the line. The monitor would be good for 5years at least I think. It will be a total replacement including keyboard and mouse all my existing stuff too old.I will wait till end April in case the iMac arrives and looks a better item. But I cant wait for ever although my system works it is slow and I am unable to upgrade Lightroom.

Rob

Colin Grant

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
One thing for sure, the M1 iMac will be a whole lot more expensive. Ask yourself if you need to pay more? What will the iMac do for you that the Mac mini will not.

Rob26

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Yes on its own the Mac Mini would cost less. But I will need to buy Mini,Monitor,Mouse and keyboard. Very unlikely
my present keyboard and mouse would work with new Mac Mini.
So I would like to see just what the iMac can offer first.
This present iMac has done us well 11 years now and only a new hard drive under warranty in 2012.
However my thinking is that separate items might be best, if anything serious breaks in the iMac it all goes.

Colin Grant

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Well the keyboard and Magic Mouse are cheap enough. Any way this is perhaps a debate for elsewhere as it is not Lr related anymore. It is something upon which only you can make the decision.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Yes on its own the Mac Mini would cost less. But I will need to buy Mini,Monitor,Mouse and keyboard. Very unlikely
my present keyboard and mouse would work with new Mac Mini.
So I would like to see just what the iMac can offer first.
This present iMac has done us well 11 years now and only a new hard drive under warranty in 2012.
However my thinking is that separate items might be best, if anything serious breaks in the iMac it all goes.
Your Mac Keyboard, Mouse or touchpad will work fine with a Mac mini. The only improvements Apple has made to these is to go wireless and maybe to get thinner. Any bluetooth keyboard, mouse or touchpad will work on any Mac. Even a Windows keyboard and mouse.
If anything breaks on an iMac, it is repairable. The only iMac component that I would replace a whole iMac for is the display. You apparently have already replaced the internal HD. So no repair on an iMac is any more complicated.

I've had 3 iMacs, two were 27" and I upgraded to a) get rid of the DVD player, b) get TB3 ports. I also downsized to the 21 inch to fit a different work space. My current iMac is over 3 years old and has been trouble free,

instanes

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I replaced my 2015 iMac with 32 Gb of RAM, with a Mac Mini M1 with 16 GB of RAM and a 32 in Dell monitor. The LR on the Mini runs circles around my old system. Am assuming when LR can run native on the M1, speed will even will be faster. My old iMac had a 27 in screen, the new Dell is 32" and I LOVE the extra real estate. Not just for LR, but it is much easier to have more than one app open simultaneously and visible on the screen.
Hope this is helpful...