• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

CUSTOM PROFILES no longer a necessary part of BACKUP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margaret248

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
For several years I have been using a old, dog-eared copy BACKUP CHECKLIST, provided by Victoria as a free download.

Recently, I purchased her FAQ book, (why didn't I do that sooner? excellent!) and I note that in the BACKUP CHECKLIST (p. 67) that CUSTOM PROFILES are no longer listed as something I need to back up.

Are they now perhaps already being backed up within my LR APP DATA and SHARED CAMERA RAW backups?

Also, in that checklist, I see a section marked "the other files." It lists lrcat-shm lrcat-wal Helper.lrdata and Sync.lrdata

I have no lrcat-shm in any of my backups. Is that going to be a problem?

A recent trip to the repair people and a re-load of my operating system have prompted my questions.
So far, so good, as far as restoring from backups-just these two small put puzzling items.

Thanks for any enlightenment.!

Are they now perhaps already being backed up within my LR APP DATA and SHARED CAMERA RAW backups?
I have no lrcat-shm in any of my backups. Is that going to be a problem?

Glad to hear you're enjoying the book, and welcome to the forum!

You're spot on, custom camera profiles are in the Shared Camera Raw Settings. Don't worry about the lack of a lrcat-shm file.

I am delighted the "The Queen" herself replied!

One follow-up question, pls.

I looked in all the backups I have, and didn't find these custom camera profiles and lens profiles in the Shared Camera Raw of any of them.

Is this going to be a problem in the future?

TY!

As long as you back them up now, not having them in older backups won't be a problem.

Victoria, thanks again!

I should have been much clearer.

I presently have no camera profiles at all in my current SHARED CAMERA RAW folder, and none in any backups of shared.
And attached is a screenshot of all that is in my lens profile folder in shared.

Should I retrieve them both from an old CUSTOM PROFILES backup and just drop them into the empty folders in shared?

If so, what to do with the info (attachment) already there?

I have managed to avoid all the potholes of reinstalling Lightroom and restoring the app data, save for this small issue, and, yes, I
am a bit obsessed about getting this final item sorted.

Attachments

• screenshot lens profile folder.PNG
    screenshot lens profile folder.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 133
Your screenshot shows you haven't got any custom lens profiles, only the built in ones that are installed with the program. So nothing to worry about there.

Custom camera profiles would either be in the CameraProfiles folder (dcp format) or Settings/Imported Settings (xmp format), but if they're empty, you either don't have any, or you have Store Presets with this Catalog checked in Preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back