• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Culling prior to Import?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gegjr

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 10.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I did search on the forum before posting this question, so I hope I didn't miss it. Does anyone review (cull) their images before importing to LrC catalog? When I say review (cull) I mean just for purpose of marking for deletion or deleting prior to import to LrC catalog. I am tired of importing 100s of images only to end up deleting 80% or more of them later. Whether you copy to another location or leave them at their present location is irrelevant to my question. I simply want to know what program you use to review the images prior to importing. I don't even care if you keep them on the card or copy/move to another location. It's only important that you're reviewing them before you import to the catalog. I have Windows-10.
Do you use Bridge, Windows Photo, or some other app?

If I could ask folks to take a step back for just a moment, that would be greatly appreciated. We have a small handful of very experienced gurus who do most of the heavy lifting on answering questions in the forum, and that can sometimes be an overwhelming task. And we have members who range from the experienced to folks who are brand new. This can make for some challenging conversations as we do not often know what folks do or do not know.

I do not believe there was any ill intent meant in the response above, but rather it reflects a passion for using LR Classic from "soup to nuts", a strategy that many folks have adopted. I am sorry if it was taken in a different manner, but let's try and keep the tone on a positive note as best we can. We can agree to disagree on our workflows, but let's also give folks the benefit of the doubt when we can. We are all entitled to a less than perfect day or response from time to time.

Much appreciated,

--Ken

Well sir, you misunderstand! There is a distinct difference between a file browser and a DAM! I am not an idiot, sir! I simply want to view the images before I go to trouble to import to a permanent location and add to my catalog only to have to turnaround later and delete unusable (or unwanted) files from my permanent storage location not to mention from my catalog. I know LrC makes it fairly easy to "remove and delete" files at the same time but I prefer not to add and move files in the first place I don't want in my catalog and storage location to begin with! So please don't color everything from your own narrow perspective of how to think. Your way of thinking is not the only way to think. That is what dictators do. And, while I'm at it, I asked for input from people that might be doing the workflow not from people that think it's ludicrous to want to do it!
I don’t misunderstand. A File browser is also a DAM tool with limited capabilities. As I say the logic of using two separate apps when one (Lightroom) will do the same job escapes me. When I am importing into Lightroom, I can begin processing the imported images before the import completes. I cull in three passes: On import, during edit develop and finally deciding which processed images to keep and which throw away.

Image browsers such as FastStone still needs to read every image and create in working storage a temporary file to show you an image to make a cull decision. So in a sense, you are importing twice. First into the File browser and again into Lightroom.

I am not an idiot, sir! …. Your way of thinking is not the only way to think. That is what dictators do. And, while I'm at it, I asked for input from people that might be doing the workflow not from people that think it's ludicrous to want to do it!
No one called you an idiot. I simply stated that I do not see the logic in importing twice (first to a temporary location and again to a permanent location). I am well aware that many experienced users (Like Ken) do use a pre processor but my logical mind does not see this as efficient.

If I could ask folks to take a step back for just a moment, that would be greatly appreciated. We have a small handful of very experienced gurus who do most of the heavy lifting on answering questions in the forum, and that can sometimes be an overwhelming task. And we have members who range from the experienced to folks who are brand new. This can make for some challenging conversations as we do not often know what folks do or do not know.

I do not believe there was any ill intent meant in the response above, but rather it reflects a passion for using LR Classic from "soup to nuts", a strategy that many folks have adopted. I am sorry if it was taken in a different manner, but let's try and keep the tone on a positive note as best we can. We can agree to disagree on our workflows, but let's also give folks the benefit of the doubt when we can. We are all entitled to a less than perfect day or response from time to time.

Much appreciated,

--Ken
Ken, I am good with it but some of your so called gurus, Cleo1l, insist on making anyone that has a different viewpoint feel like an idiot. I resent his tone and I am unhappy with how I am being made the bad guy here. Why do you insist on taking the side of your guru? Why are your gurus given carte blanche to respond with any tone they want and I'm not allowed to defend myself? Your guru didn't even have to respond to my post if he didn't agree with my chosen workflow. Your gurus word is not the end all to beat all. As I said I'm happy to accept a refund for my subscription if the administration feels I'm being unreasonable.

Does anyone cull images before importing into LrC
I don't. I shoot both NEF and JPG but only load the NEF files in LrC.

When reviewing the IMPORT images, I will on occasion pop into DEVELOP and AUTO TONE to determine if I'm going to try and save it or not. I use LrC for culling. Sometimes I'll use the REJECT flag instead.

You are almost implying that if you cull before importing you will not be reviewing the images in LrC. To me doing it in LrC is a single step instead of two steps.

As I said I'm happy to accept a refund for my subscription if the administration feels I'm being unreasonable.
I'm mildly curious....what subscription are you referring to?

Wow. this thread really spun out of control.

Here's my take. The OP (original poster) posed a legitimate question and received legitimate answers but seems to have taken offense that the response from Clee was suggesting a different work flow. Like some others, I thought the OP's response to Clee was rude and out of line in tone. Maybe it was intended that way and maybe not, but that's how it came across to me. I look at it this way. If one poses a question to an open forum such as this one, they have to expect that they will revieve different ideas, opinions, and suggestions from different people. Some suggestions may be useful to them and some may not. Just because someone suggests a different approach or an answer not considered useful to the OP, should not be taken as an affront or as disparaging. Rather it should just be ignored if it is not helpful to the OP. If an answer is not understood by the OP or the OP thinks the responder did not understand the question correctly then by all means ask for clarification or restate the question in a different way. Sniping at a responder who is just trying to help I don't think is helpful or called for.

IMHO.

I don't. I shoot both NEF and JPG but only load the NEF files in LrC.

When reviewing the IMPORT images, I will on occasion pop into DEVELOP and AUTO TONE to determine if I'm going to try and save it or not. I use LrC for culling. Sometimes I'll use the REJECT flag instead.

You are almost implying that if you cull before importing you will not be reviewing the images in LrC. To me doing it in LrC is a single step instead of two steps.
Thanks but this only applies after import. I want culling prior to import to at least get rid of unusable files first. IMHO it's a waste of resources and time to import a bunch of images that will only be discarded later or stay on my storage location taking up valuable space. IMO Adobe should create a pre-import cull function. I know I can see the files in the import dialog but they are in thumbnail and I'm no longer using a large desktop screen so thumbnails are small. Thanks for responding. Apparently the workflow I want is not looked upon favorably.

I want culling prior to import to at least get rid of unusable files first. IMHO it's a waste of resources and time to import a bunch of images that will only be discarded later or stay on my storage location taking up valuable space. IMO Adobe should create a pre-import cull function. I know I can see the files in the import dialog but they are in thumbnail and I'm no longer using a large desktop screen so thumbnails are small
Actually, the import dialog may be exactly what you are looking for. In addition to the Grid view, there is a Loupe view where individual image can be viewed in nearly full screen. You can even zoom an individual image up to 1600%. The Import dialog works like a file browser at this point allowing you to select individual image for import.

Ken, I am good with it but some of your so called gurus, Cleo1l, insist on making anyone that has a different viewpoint feel like an idiot. I resent his tone and I am unhappy with how I am being made the bad guy here. Why do you insist on taking the side of your guru? Why are your gurus given carte blanche to respond with any tone they want and I'm not allowed to defend myself? Your guru didn't even have to respond to my post if he didn't agree with my chosen workflow. Your gurus word is not the end all to beat all. As I said I'm happy to accept a refund for my subscription if the administration feels I'm being unreasonable.
I am really sorry that Cletus' post evoked such strong feelings, especially because I just do not see that intent or language in his post. My post above was not to take sides, but rather to clarify that we have just a handful of very experienced gurus that try to respond to a variety of posts from a variety of users. And, we sometimes will answer a post with a suggestion that might be different from what an OP would expect, so that future readers who are interested in this topic can benefit from a variety of opinions. Yes, Cletus could have skipped your post, but I suspect that we would be the worse for it if all of the gurus took that approach.

If this conversation was happening in a pub, I suspect that we would have happily agreed to disagree on which is the better culling method, and then moved the conversation onwards to the next topic at hand. What I am asking, from everybody, is to give each other the benefit of the doubt since written communication is void of a lot of subtleties. This is a forum that attracts members with a very wide range of experiences, especially since we get, and welcome, a lot of folks who are brand new to LR and LR Classic. A bit of grace, from everybody, goes along way to keeping this place running smoothly.

Thank you,

--Ken

Apparently the workflow I want is not looked upon favorably.
It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but given the sales and popularity of program like PhotoMechanic, I suspect that are a number of people who like to do some culling prior to importing photos into LR Classic.

--Ken

Lightroom is a Digital Asset Management (DAM) tool. You use a DAM tool for managing your images including deciding which ones to keep. The logic of using one DAM tool to decide what to input to another DAM tool escapes me.
It is a quick and simple process to import all of the images on the camera card to the Lightroom Catalog AND then decide which ones to keep and with ones to delete.
IMO you only need one DAM tool to manage your images and that tool should be Lightroom.
@clee01

I agree with almost all of what you said, except for the part about LrC import being quick. For a lot of my photography, I import straight into LrC. No reason not to. But when I am shooting a baseball game with 9 fps sequences, I get a lot of "non-keepers." I usually start a sequence just before the batter takes his swing or when the pitcher is going through his windup. Sometimes it's an outfield hit, sometimes a double-play, sometimes just a swing and a miss or the batter doesn't even swing. At an SF Giants - LA Dodgers game this year (SF won!) i used Fast RAW Viewer to cull out about 90% of all my shots.

I can imagine the same sort of situation in some kinds of nature photography, e.g. birds in flight.

@clee01

I agree with almost all of what you said, except for the part about LrC import being quick. For a lot of my photography, I import straight into LrC. No reason not to. But when I am shooting a baseball game with 9 fps sequences, I get a lot of "non-keepers." I usually start a sequence just before the batter takes his swing or when the pitcher is going through his windup. Sometimes it's an outfield hit, sometimes a double-play, sometimes just a swing and a miss or the batter doesn't even swing. At an SF Giants - LA Dodgers game this year (SF won!) i used Fast RAW Viewer to cull out about 90% of all my shots.

I can imagine the same sort of situation in some kinds of nature photography, e.g. birds in flight.
Yes, when I shoot BIF, and when I shot concerts year ago, the images add up quickly, and this is why I like the method that I use. But having said that, I have seen wedding photographer show how they quickly cull in LR. It is a different culling style with a different goal, since clients usually want to look through proofs and what mostly needs to be culled is stuff that should never see the light of day. Add on top of that some people cull anything that is not 3-star or above while others only eliminate bloopers, and we are all over the map in our objectives. If I did not shoot a lot of sequences, I'd probably stick with LR Classic for the most part. But I have used FSIV for so many years for misc. things that I find using it second nature. Of course, YMMV.

--Ken

Yes, when I shoot BIF, and when I shot concerts year ago, the images add up quickly, and this is why I like the method that I use. But having said that, I have seen wedding photographer show how they quickly cull in LR. It is a different culling style with a different goal, since clients usually want to look through proofs and what mostly needs to be culled is stuff that should never see the light of day. Add on top of that some people cull anything that is not 3-star or above while others only eliminate bloopers, and we are all over the map in our objectives. If I did not shoot a lot of sequences, I'd probably stick with LR Classic for the most part. But I have used FSIV for so many years for misc. things that I find using it second nature. Of course, YMMV.

--Ken
@Replytoken

As you say, YMMV, and probably not only the subject matter. I'm always interested to read about other people's workflow, but as I've gained more experience with LrC, the less I think, "Oh my workflow is in adequate and deficient, and this other person's workflow is so much better."

--Ken
And I use my all in Lightroom method for BIFs. Initially I might sit with one finger on the X (reject) key Deleting actual files is much later in my workflow. I let the Rejected photos accumulate Rejected photos are easy enough to filter out using LrC. I may accumulate 2-300 rejected photos and when convenient I will filter to select them, give them one final review and remove them from my catalog and delete them from my file system. Since I may revisit some poor images through out the whole of my workflow, some images that initial might have been rejected are determined to be salvageable. If I rejected these out right BEFORE import, I think that rush to judgement might cause me to miss some images that might have merit.

And I use my all in Lightroom method for BIFs. Initially I might sit with one finger on the X (reject) key Deleting actual files is much later in my workflow. I let the Rejected photos accumulate Rejected photos are easy enough to filter out using LrC. I may accumulate 2-300 rejected photos and when convenient I will filter to select them, give them one final review and remove them from my catalog and delete them from my file system. Since I may revisit some poor images through out the whole of my workflow, some images that initial might have been rejected are determined to be salvageable. If I rejected these out right BEFORE import, I think that rush to judgement might cause me to miss some images that might have merit.
I agree there is value in giving some time to images before doing a final deletion. And, as I have fallen quite behind in my culling due to health issues, I have considered changing some of my methods to an approach similar to yours. The other factor is my mood when I am culling. Sometimes I feel a bit more ruthless when I am culling, and other days I will sometimes let some marginal images slide, if only to use as a teaching tool when I am trying to learn what went right or wrong on a shoot.

--Ken

Sometimes I feel a bit more ruthless when I am culling, and other days I will sometimes let some marginal images slide, if only to use as a teaching tool when I am trying to learn what went right or wrong on a shoot.
And this is why I use the method that I do. I may get too ruthless and later ask my self, "where is that rare bird that I know I photographed?" I go back through my rejects and discover that it was in one of the images that I rejected earlier.

I reject images at three stages (actually four) and delete them from Lightroom usually only after the three stages in my workflow. I reject on import (Cull). I reject on Develop when even after Lightroom has done its magic, the image is just not up to the high standards that I set. When I complete my workflow, the image is marked complete and unpublished or Published. Any that do not fall into one of these two categories gets rejected. If I have multiples good savable images that fall into one of these categories, I may only choose one and then reject the rest.

At times after I have accumulated many rejected images, I may decide to delete these. I will filter on rejected images (X) and review each one more time before they are removed from my catalog and the disk.

I have composed a response to this and will send by private mail to Cletus and the original poster. Partially, because it is too long, partially I have covered this ground before and partially I do not want to revisit some of the earlier posts in this conversation. I am posting this comment here so the private mails do not come as a surprise or if the OP is not be familiar with the private email feature.

And this is why I use the method that I do. I may get too ruthless and later ask my self, "where is that rare bird that I know I photographed?" I go back through my rejects and discover that it was in one of the images that I rejected earlier.

I reject images at three stages (actually four) and delete them from Lightroom usually only after the three stages in my workflow. I reject on import (Cull). I reject on Develop when even after Lightroom has done its magic, the image is just not up to the high standards that I set. When I complete my workflow, the image is marked complete and unpublished or Published. Any that do not fall into one of these two categories gets rejected. If I have multiples good savable images that fall into one of these categories, I may only choose one and then reject the rest.

At times after I have accumulated many rejected images, I may decide to delete these. I will filter on rejected images (X) and review each one more time before they are removed from my catalog and the disk.
Yes, is is a bit of a different work flow for me, but I have been mulling some changes that would work well with this approach if/when I do make the changes. To be perfectly honest, between health issues and work, it is not easy to find time to keep up with image management, especially culling. And I can only cull so much for so long before my eyes physically tire.

--Ken

I am closing this thread as the question has been answered and the tone of the thread has deteriorated.

If anyone has a problem with a post in future, please feel free to use the Report button on the post so it can be considered and dealt with by the moderation team.

For reference, here are the forum rules. We kindly ask that everyone re-read and comply with these rules, to maintain the happy tolerant atmosphere that we've come to enjoy here. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back