Cry for help on Tone Curve for a Colourblind user

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Emery

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi guys,

I've been learning Lightroom for around 8 months now and seem to have got the jist of most of the functions and controls. Being colourblind I really struggle when it comes to the tone curve tool and I really want to master this as it seems it's pivotal. What i'm going for is the slightly bluey blacks but just cant get anywhere near what i'm aiming for.

The tone that I'm aiming for is like the user @livingitrural uses on 99% his work I'm really struggling with this and any pointers in the right direction would be amazing.

Cheers guys

Sorry I should add it's @livingitrural on Instagram, if you guys have no access to Instagram I can post a couple of exampled on here (if rules permit)

Last edited:
Hi George, welcome to Lightroom Forums!

I had a look at the images you are trying to emulate.
This is a colour issue - not a tone issue.

Tonal manipulations do not introduce colour casts but can only accentuate one that is already present. (Unless one is trying to use single channel tonal manipulation - but again this is actually a colour manipulation not a tonal one.)

From what I can see of those images the whole image is cool (a bit blue).
Given that they are almost all taken in overcast conditions it is as if the cameras white balance was set to sunny despite the weather being overcast.
Alternatively the images were shot as raw with a more appropriate white balance but this was adjusted to the cool side in Lightroom (or some other raw converter).

Perhaps the shadows are somewhat more blue than the highlights (although they are clearly cool anyway) and this can easily be achieved with split toning. In this case one would would only tint the shadows leaving the highlights alone.

I can give more detail on how play with white balance or split toning if required.

Tony Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back