CRT monitor calibration for photo editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nmasson

Hello,
I have two questions about monitor calibration for photo editing -- I know this isn't exactly lightroom software related, but I figured that this would be a good place to ask.

In the past i've used my LCD monitor for basis adjustments, which has been good enough as long as you are not doing doing fine editing that requires good color fidelity and such. I have a recent collection of photos form South America that I want to potentially publish, and I figured it was time to pull out the LCD monitor so I can do some finer editing on select pictures.

My two main question are:
1) How long will an LCD monitor retain it's 'quality'. the one I have is 13 or 15 yrs old, and i'm worried that the phosphorescent coating on the glass may have degraded.

2) Can you suggest any good websites that detain the process of adjusting the contrast and brightness and other setting of an LCD monitor in order to calibrate it so that the perceived image is the same as that which will be printed?

Thank you!

I assume you are asking about a CRT? No one I know has LCDs that old. Your subject line has CRT but your text says LCD.

Personally, I would trust the reds in a CRT over 6 years old and I wouldn't expect it to hold calibration more than a couple of weeks. That is just my experience and your mileage may vary.

I quite using CRTs about 4 years ago and have never looked back. Modern LCDs have come a long way.

As far as your second question goes, you should calibrate your monitor with a hardware device to achieve decent results. There are many on the market and some are less than 1'' USD. If I were publishing some images, I would invest in the hardware to ensure they come out like I expect.

Also, would you happen to know if the hardware devices exist to calibrate an LCD monitor. I was under the impression that color fidelity, contrast etc. weren't accurate on an LCD, and that one should use a CRT, but perhaps that was just a while ago. I have a fairly new (less than 4 yrs) LCD that is in good condition, and I suppose I could use that to edit as well.

Just as Rikk I haven´t used a CRT in many years. LCDs today of good quality are far better then CRTs.

- A CRT grows old much faster then an LCD. The easiest way to measure that is with a calibrationdevice (such as the i1 Display)(http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=788)(there are many more to choose from). In the old CRT-days and a dimly lit room a lightness target was around 8' candela. If the CRT-monitor could reach that it could work. I ditched my last CRT when it couldn´t reach around 9' candela and I had difficulties adjusting the channels to give me an even result.
- A CRT changes very fast so those should be recalibrated often. I used to start the wek off with calibrating my display on mondaymornings. The LCD I tend to forget to calibrate but once a month or so is good just to make sure things hasen´t changed.

Calibrating and profiling a good LCD today is a breeze. That is if you have a hardware device. A new(ish) LCD is better then an old(ish) but that doesn´t mean that a new LCD is good. There are good and bad and (as always) the more you pay the better. ;-)

[quote author=nmasson link=topic=9757.msg66'81#msg66'81 date=1273118436]
Also, would you happen to know if the hardware devices exist to calibrate an LCD monitor. I was under the impression that color fidelity, contrast etc. weren't accurate on an LCD, and that one should use a CRT, but perhaps that was just a while ago. I have a fairly new (less than 4 yrs) LCD that is in good condition, and I suppose I could use that to edit as well.
[/quote]

Datacolor's SypderExpress is an affordable solution that shsould work either a CRT or an LCD monitor. Very worthwhile investment.

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back