• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Cropping photos for matting

Status
Not open for further replies.

becksnyc

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 10.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
When exporting to a jpeg to send to a photo printing establishment, how can I precisely control what shows inside a standard 8x10 mat?
If I choose an 8x10 aspect ratio & crop, won't I lose 1/4" all around behind the mat?
I have plenty of image area, but don't know how to control or gauge how much "extra" to leave for the border?
I'm clueless, as I rarely print any photos and have a gallery wall project to complete, in my complete ignorance!
Any help much appreciated.

When exporting to a jpeg to send to a photo printing establishment, how can I precisely control what shows inside a standard 8x10 mat?
If I choose an 8x10 aspect ratio & crop, won't I lose 1/4" all around behind the mat?
I have plenty of image area, but don't know how to control or gauge how much "extra" to leave for the border?
I'm clueless, as I rarely print any photos and have a gallery wall project to complete, in my complete ignorance!
Any help much appreciated.

You need to extend the print area beyond the 8X10 opening. By using the 4:5 ratio figure out how many pixels are going to be printed inside the 8”X10” opening. Let’s say your PPI is 300ppi. Then the 8” side will expose 2400 pixels and the 10” side will expose 3000 pixels increase the crop windows to something like 2480X3100 pixels (still 4:5) the if the inside of the matte is exactly 8”X10” you will be fine.

If you can find a shop that will cut a custom matte then you can print what ever you like and create a custom hole to fit a little less than the printed pixels

Mattes are usually cut with a beveled edge around the opening. Make sure that you understand the exact measurements of the opening that exposes the print under neath. Always allow a little overflow in pixels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I already own the mats. The opening measures 7.5x9.5.
Mr. Lee, can you kindly recalculate your suggested pixel size to the measurement that I should have included in my original post. I'm sorry for any trouble.
I knew I could count on this amazing forum. Y'all have rescued me many times before.

I already own the mats. The opening measures 7.5x9.5.
Mr. Lee, can you kindly recalculate your suggested pixel size to the measurement that I should have included in my original post. I'm sorry for any trouble.
I knew I could count on this amazing forum. Y'all have rescued me many times before.

I suggested 300ppi. This is typical for many printers. I have successfully printed large images (24X30) at 109ppi. Only you can determine the parameters.
7.5X9.5 is no longer 4:5 aspect ratio. Dividing the long edge by the short edge you get 1.2667 not 1.25. You can creat a custom crop in Lightroom that is 1:1.266

1. Determine the ppi of your print. E.g (300ppi)
2. Determine how many pixels will print in the long edge and the short edge at your printers resolution in ppi
3. Add ~50-75 pixels to the crop dimension to account for the necessary overlap.
Print the cropped image. Position the print inside the matte opening so that the image appears as you want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back