• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Cropping by fixed pixel not ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

foshildgc

Lightroom Version Number
I want to crop every photo to the exact same pixel dimensions. Lets say I want 4410 x 2835 so the ratio is 1.555 : 1 and I can enter that in the Crop tool as a custom ratio. Lightroom of course does this but I can't seem to get it to limit the size to the desired dimensions. It keeps the ratio right but the dimensions are not locked. That same ratio gives me 4410 x 2835 or 5048 x 3246 or 1113 x 716 etc. Ratio is right but the resulting crop size is highly variable. How can I set the crop tool to provide a 4410 x 2835 block that I can position? Thanks
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Using Lightroom Classic subscription.

I want to crop every photo in a set of a bird singing to the exact same pixel dimensions. Lets say I want 4410 x 2835 so the ratio is 1.555 : 1 and I can enter that in the Crop tool as a custom ratio. Lightroom of course does this but I can't seem to get it to limit the size to the desired dimensions. It keeps the ratio right but the dimensions are not locked. That same ratio gives me 4410 x 2835 or 5048 x 3246 or 1113 x 716 etc. Ratio is right but the resulting crop size is highly variable. How can I set the crop tool to provide a 4410 x 2835 custom block that I can position?

Thanks

You'll have to use Photoshop for that. Lightroom won't do it. A few people have been asking for the ability for ages.

That said, you can, by trial and error, create a crop of that size and then paste it onto other images. Setting a line of your View Options to "Cropped Dimensions" will help. It's a poor workaround, but it will work.

All crops are relative. So a ratio is all that you can do. The pixels on the screen rarely match the pixels on the image. So every image in the crop window will be resized to fit the middle panel viewing area.

You'll have to use Photoshop for that. Lightroom won't do it. A few people have been asking for the ability for ages.

That said, you can, by trial and error, create a crop of that size and then paste it onto other images. Setting a line of your View Options to "Cropped Dimensions" will help. It's a poor workaround, but it will work.
It will only work on images that have the same pixels dimensions as the one used to create the crop ratio. Change cameras and you still get the crop ratio but to fit the maximum dimensions od the pixels presented

I just have a burst of the bird singing, D 850 Raw files. So everything but his beak is in same position. I wanted to do identical crops as easily as possible.

Attachments

• mmm.JPG
    mmm.JPG
    424.5 KB · Views: 174
Hal's copy settings suggestion will work if it is the same camera. Unless your camera were mounted on a tripod and there was no wind blowing the lines, you could overlap the bird with only the beak in different positions .

I've never manage to get the same crop in the same position of the frame since I was always hand holding the camera and there is other movement li the limb the bird is on moves with the wind.

I just have a burst of the bird singing, D 850 Raw files. So everything but his beak is in same position. I wanted to do identical crops as easily as possible.
Take all the shots uncropped, and edit-in-photoshop as layers. Use the Align Layers and it will come pretty darn close to making everything line up. Then crop the whole image (all layers at once).

Where you go from there depends on what you want. You can build an animated gif, or you could create separate images from each layer and they will be identical in size and alignment.

None of this is in LR of course, you'll need to save-as the result and import back into LR (well, not if you did a GIF, it won't support them).

I'm not near a Lightroom computer but what I'd try - set your crop to the ratio you need, save, and check your resolution. Usually we choose Length x Width x 72 to get a precise file size.

Not what I'm trying to do, again thanks everyone. My question has been answered to a suitable degree. No further responses are required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back