• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Cropped image in Lightroom arrives in Photoshop upside down and other LR Classic 9.2 wierdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic v9.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I'm seeing lots of weirdness with v9.2 or whether it is related to Lightroom Classic 9.2 Window Sizing Problem | Photoshop Family Customer Community or a new bug
In the Grid view Auto advance seems to advance to the image after the next or weirdly to some new selected image at the front of the sort.
Moat recently I had a crop angled at 4.27º from horizontal. The image always arrives upside down. If I go to the original NEF in Finder I can see the image has been flipped L-R not T-B. IS that an explanation for this?

"I had a crop angled at 4.27º from horizontal. The image always arrives upside down. If I go to the original NEF in Finder I can see the image has been flipped L-R not T-B. IS that an explanation for this?"

That's very curious. Can you attach the .nef and its .xmp sidecar here? We can see if it happens in other installations and what might be causing it.

"I had a crop angled at 4.27º from horizontal. The image always arrives upside down. If I go to the original NEF in Finder I can see the image has been flipped L-R not T-B. IS that an explanation for this?"

That's very curious. Can you attach the .nef and its .xmp sidecar here? We can see if it happens in other installations and what might be causing it.
I can't attach an NEF to a reply but I have copied both files to my Adobe Creative Cloud Files. I can share the files from there if I can have your Creative Cloud member email.
It appears the Orientation tag in the XMP is coded as ORIENTATION_RIGHTBOT = 7; I think it should be ORIENTATION_TOPRIGHT = 2; or ORIENTATION_RIGHTTOP = 6;

Today I rebooted my computer and sent the file again to Photoshop from Lightroom Classic. It opens as it should be expected. But the XMP file was present, so I deleted the XMP file and applied the Edit In Photoshop function again from Lightroom Classic. The image opens in Photoshop upside down with the crop applied. It does seem to be the Edit In Photoshop process is sending a different XMP to Photoshop Thant it creates when it writes metadata to a file .

Last edited:
I tried unsuccessfully to reproduce what you're observing. The sample .nef contains this tag:

Orientation : Rotate 270 CW

(which is rotated left counter-clockwise).

When I import that into LR 9.2 without the .xmp you sent present, it imports correctly oriented. I then edit it in Develop, open the Crop tool, and set the rotation to 4.72. When I then edit that in PS 21.1 and save it, it comes back as a .psd properly rotated. No .xmp file is created in this process (I have Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP turned off).

If instead I import the .nef into LR with the .xmp you sent present, it is rotated and mirrored due to the orientation tag in the .xmp:

Orientation : Mirror horizontal and rotate 90 CW

It is also cropped with an angle of 4.72 due to the settings in the .xmp. When I edit that in PS and save it as a .psd, it comes back with the same orientation.

I repeated those steps with the the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP turned on and got the same (correct) behavior.

So there's something about your particular configuration that's off, or there's a step you're doing that I'm not.

So there's something about your particular configuration that's off, or there's a step you're doing that I'm not.
I discovered this only occurred for me when it Opened the file in photoshop without an XMP file present.

Try this: Import the NEF. Flip the image horizontally (L-R) crop the image and rotate the 4.72 degrees. Until the XMP file was created, this is all that I had done. Without the XMP present the image shows up in Photoshop upside down every time I “Edit in Photoshop”. If I create the XMP sidecar file, Photoshop opens the image correctly. If I do nothing but delete the XMP sidecar file and callPhotoshop again the image is upside down
I will import a new copy of the NEF and repeat the above procedure of a new copy of the original to see if I can repeat the “upside downness” on a different copy of the original

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I discovered this only occurred for me when it Opened the file in photoshop without an XMP file present.

Try this: Import the NEF. Flip the image horizontally (L-R) crop the image and rotate the 4.72 degrees. Until the XMP file was created, this is all that I had done. Without the XMP present the image shows up in Photoshop upside down every time I “Edit in Photoshop”. If I create the XMP sidecar file, Photoshop opens the image correctly. If I do nothing but delete the XMP sidecar file and callPhotoshop again the image is upside down
I will import a new copy of the NEF and repeat the above procedure of a new copy of the original to see if I can repeat the “upside downness” on a different copy of the original

I imported again the original file. Flipped it and cropped and tilted it as before. Sending it to Photoshop fro edit or as a smart object, it always arrives upside down. If there is an XMP file present, it arrives in the proper orientation .

"Flip the image horizontally"

That's the crucial step I was missing. (Setting the Crop rotation angle isn't relevant to the bug.) I filed a bug report:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/phot...and-flipped-raw-opens-upside-down-in-phtoshop
Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report and click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

"Flip the image horizontally"

That's the crucial step I was missing. (Setting the Crop rotation angle isn't relevant to the bug.) I filed a bug report:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/phot...and-flipped-raw-opens-upside-down-in-phtoshop
Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report and click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.
It is an odd bug that only shows when there is no XMP sidecar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back