Creative Cloud - Ps & Lr - $9.99/month

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilGF

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
So I'm sure most have heard this and received e-mail about it.

"Introducing a special Adobe Creative Cloud plan designed exclusively for photographers. Get the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5, plus 20GB of cloud storage, Behance ProSite for your own fully customizable professional portfolio, ongoing feature updates*, and more — all for US$9.99/month for as long as you continue your membership†. Valid for Photoshop CS3 and later customers."

From what I've heard Abode is doing this not to help out Photographers, but because they need to boost the users for CC.

So okay, this is a great price but they just released Lr V5, I paid $75 in June and so this would cost me the full $75 for 3 months of use! I called Adobe Customer support, I asked if since they didn't offer this at the release of V5 would they offer some credit or discount? I was told no!

Understandably this is a great deal if you didn't upgrade yet, but from the side of someone who is a loyal customer and updates right away it's a rip-off! They could have used this opportunity in June to make me move to the cloud, that $75 dollars would have bought me Lr & Ps for 7.5 months!

Just really piss pour marketing! IMO:twisted:

And from that it appears the $19.99/mo price is what you would merge into.

Is that explicitly stated anywhere, Cletus? Or is it just your expectation?

I recall some feedback from an Adobe person that this "special bundle" price would be not change year to year. However, the wording in the terms statement certainly leave it open to interpretation.

I really don't like the way Adobe keep changing their minds about this.

-louie

Is that explicitly stated anywhere, Cletus? Or is it just your expectation?
From the current plans, it is the only way to continue a subscription for PSCC only. So, yes that is my expectation. However, I also expect that when the PSCC/LR bundle subscriptions start to expire in a year or less, Adobe will have a different plan available for PSCC/LR expires.

My understaning is that $9.99 is the base price, and it's not a discounted rate for the first year. So it won't revert to $19.99 after 12 months, and any increases that Adobe allow themselves will be based on $9.99.

John

I don't really see it as being any different to my broadband contract or my heating maintenance cover or my auto club membership fees.....they're all offered at a rate of x for a period of y, after which the price may be subject to change. They'll all have similar weasel words in the small print.....

It still looks a good deal, at least for the first 12 months, after which we'll see what happens.

The big difference to me is that if I don't like the service from any of these other vendors I can change to a new service. But with CC I do not have another alternative to edit my images. It makes much easier for Adobe to abuse the relationship. Just as an example here, what is the meaning for the phrase, "based on the current price of the offering."?

Is there even going to be Photoshop/Lightroom bundle or will Adobe change their mind again? This is the uncertainty that has me feeling more than a little uncomfortable about this whole deal. It is clear that Adobe wants to get all of us locked into CC monthly billing but it is not so clear what they will do after we are all making our monthly payments.

I agree that $9.99/month for PS/LR bundle is an attractive price. If it were clearly stated that this is an official CC offering with the expectation of nominal annual increases it would help remove many concerns. So far Adobe has been less than forthright about their intentions and plans. I see this retraction of the original offer as evidence of their own internal turmoil.

-louie

My understaning is that $9.99 is the base price, and it's not a discounted rate for the first year. So it won't revert to $19.99 after 12 months, and any increases that Adobe allow themselves will be based on $9.99.

John
John what you say may very well be the result. However, currently Adobe has no plan price for this bundle other than this special plan which expires 12/2. So either Adobe has to continue this plan after the first year term or offer it at a different price after the limited offer expires or roll these subscribers into one of the existing plans. It is my hope and expectation is that sometime in January Adobe will offer this plan at some price higher than $9.99/mo for new users that just want a version of PS and LR regardless of what they own and that there will be a renewal term for the current plan subscribers of $9.99/mo

For those taking up the $9.99 offer, that's their base price upon which future incremental price rises are possible. For those not accepting the offers before the 2nd / 31st December deadline, one assumes the $19.99 is still lurking, but I expect a series of similar offers next year until Adobe reach their targets or decide they need to backtrack.

Interesting, I just now received a new email from Adobe for the Photoshop CC/Lightroom 2 $9.99 but now extended to 12/31 again.

The "Join" link on the email takes me directly to the CC signup page and not to the current "Black Friday" offer page which is still showing the 12/02 deadline.

So it appears that both offers are active but you my need to be on a "secret" mailing list to use the 12/31 date.

I went back and found the email for the original Photoshop CC/LR offer and that link now goes to the new Black Friday offer.

"You are lost in a maze or twisty passages" (quote from the original "Adventure" game running on our the state of the art DEC PDP 11 timesharing system.)

-louie

Here it is, December and I'm still on the fence to take the $9.99 offer. I guess the biggest concern here for me is that I no longer make money with photography, it's strictly a hobby now.

Still spending lots of money on gear and computer hardware though. I don't use Ps that much anymore because of Lr.

Maybe the new bells and whistles of Ps6 Extended will make me get more involved with Ps?

Completely understand that debate Phil! What do you currently use for any retouching you need to do?

There is no option to pay for the deal in NZ$ so I have to pay in AU$. This means my monthly payments are higher and will change as the NZ/AU$ exchange rate fluctuates.

I also note that the offer is available to everyone until 31 Dec not 2nd Dec as stated above, perhaps this has been extended yet further ?

http://www.adobe.com/nz/products/creativecloud/faq.html

I have signed up today, I thought it has to be worth it for at least a year and we'll see how it goes. I have CS5 to go back to if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back