Creative Cloud IS the way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking that the most reasonable thing for Adobe to do is exactly as you said, Victoria: a PSCC and LR5 bundle on the cloud.

I disagree. The main problem with CC is that you lose everything once you have stopped paying. I don't want LR to be included in this model. IMHO, there are only two acceptable solutions for photographers. The first is presented here (as mentioned above)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5344471#5344471
http://forums.adobe.com/message/5342057#5342057
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=78240.0

and the second here

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5348821#5348821

Mainsoft, the main problem with PSCS6 is that it will not be upgraded. I don't know about you but I like to have the latest version of photoshop. I appreciate the new capabilities, even though I use it only for photographs. I could not do without Photoshop, and recognize that it just got a little more expensive, and it will continue to do so. I have PSCS6 and always will have it to fall back on as long as I save my files as flattened tifs. CC is the way forward, and, soon, when they stop making CS6 available, it will be the only one. There are some things worth getting in a knot about, and this is not one of them. (but then I am old and less likely to get my nose out of joint about things than I once was)

The new Smart Sharpen filter is a beauty, and the ability to use ACR as a filter is another - especially used as a filter on a Smart Layer. Think of that - it's huge, really. I remember doing something similar in a fairly convoluted way back in the day - and now it is idiot simple. I love it.

So, today they announced the Photoshop/Lightroom bundle on CC for owners of Photoshop CS3 or later. The price will be $9.99 a month going forward.
I purchased an upgrade to Lr5 when it was released, but, given all the new capabilities planned for Lr5 - web interactive functionality in particular, Behance-centric is looks like - I was pleased to hear about this offer.

I wondered if I would qualify, having subscribed to PsCC when it was available at 9.99 a month for the first year. Apparently, I will and the transition will be automatic. This is from Terry White's blog today for the information of those of you who might be in the same position as I am.

"Q: I am already a Creative Cloud member; do I qualify for this offer?
Existing Creative Cloud members who wish to transition to this offer must own a previous version of Photoshop or Photoshop Extended product, version CS3 or later (CS3.x, CS4, CS5.x, or CS6). Suites do not qualify.
Those who meet the qualifications have two options:
Creative Cloud Single App members for Photoshop CC who already completed the qualification process when they originally signed up for their membership will be automatically transitioned to this new program when it ships, with the additional benefits and lower ongoing price."

The really neat thing about this is that, whereas as a subscriber to PsCC for the first year at a cost of 9.99 a month on a yearly subscription, and facing an increase in price at the end of the first year, this offer will include Lr5 and PsCC for the ongoing price of 9.99, that is, not limited to the year. !!!

I'm sure there will still be people who like to feel badly treated who will grouch about it, but it seems like a sweet deal to me.

I might have waited to upgrade Lr until this offer, which Victoria was kind enough to hint broadly about above, but then I would not have had Lr 5.0 for the past several months, and it is worth it to me to have upgraded my standalone. As well, I have a perpetual license for both PsCs6 and Lr5 at this point, should I need to drop out of the subscription service on the cloud. Nothing to gripe about from this quarter!

Thanks Adobe!

I am happy that this new arrangement works for you, Katherine, but for those of us who do not presently own an eligible copy of PS, Adobe is not really offering us any way to join you "in the club".

--Ken

Is their a new deal for UK users ? $9.99 translates to around £6.40 UK but why do I get the feeling Adobe will ask for at least £9.99. Still don't like the subscription idea. This shows that Adobe are not hitting their targets for CC.

Is their a new deal for UK users ? $9.99 translates to around £6.40 UK but why do I get the feeling Adobe will ask for at least £9.99. Still don't like the subscription idea. This shows that Adobe are not hitting their targets for CC.
Neil, speculation or feelings don't add much.... I hear that the UK may be around 7.50... How do you know what Adobe's target are and whether they are being met?Me, I would say that Adobe have listened to the market and are responding.

Neil, speculation or feelings don't add much.... I hear that the UK may be around 7.50... How do you know what Adobe's target are and whether they are being met?Me, I would say that Adobe have listened to the market and are responding.

Another way of saying that Adobe are not hitting their targets :grin:

I am happy that this new arrangement works for you, Katherine, but for those of us who do not presently own an eligible copy of PS, Adobe is not really offering us any way to join you "in the club".

--Ken

Ken, I bought Photoshop initially in 1996. I have upgraded many times. It cost me a few thousand dollars. I have invested in the program.

While I sympathize with you, having to start at the beginning, I have to ask why you think that your cost should be the same as mine at this point? Do you think we should get the same deal? I wouldn't mind at all if you did - but I am betting that many in my position would feel slighted if their investment was calculated to be the same value as theirs. This is a professional level program and it is expensive.

That being said, it seems to me that there is still an inexpensive option for you - subscribe to the cloud and pay the very low price for one application monthly. A single ap subscription, with no yearly commitment is $29. Compare that to pre-cloud prices - what was it - $699 initially and $200 every year and a half to upgrade? It's a terrific deal!

...A single ap subscription, with no yearly commitment is $29. Compare that to pre-cloud prices - what was it - $699 initially and $200 every year and a half to upgrade? It's a terrific deal!
That $29US/mo is $350 per year and becomes a money losing proposition after 3 years based upon your pre cloud pricing. Out of ignorance some of us bought Creative Suite when we only needed PhotoShop wasting lost of money at Adobe because Adobe did not advertise or market the standalone PS Price. Adobe would not let you down grade CS to PS standalone without paying full price. CS2 (which I unfortunately own and could not downgrade to PS11 or PS12) is not included in the marketing "deal" being offered to Prior Licensees.

Ken, I bought Photoshop initially in 1996. I have upgraded many times. It cost me a few thousand dollars. I have invested in the program.

While I sympathize with you, having to start at the beginning, I have to ask why you think that your cost should be the same as mine at this point? Do you think we should get the same deal? I wouldn't mind at all if you did - but I am betting that many in my position would feel slighted if their investment was calculated to be the same value as theirs. This is a professional level program and it is expensive.

That being said, it seems to me that there is still an inexpensive option for you - subscribe to the cloud and pay the very low price for one application monthly. A single ap subscription, with no yearly commitment is $29. Compare that to pre-cloud prices - what was it - $699 initially and $200 every year and a half to upgrade? It's a terrific deal!

Hi Katherine,

I did not think, nor did I state in my post, that my costs should be the same as yours. I am, however, disappointed that Adobe is not really allowing a middle ground alternative for a photographer who has been using Lightroom and may now be interested in using CC/PS. If I understand their pricing proposal, the single app subscription would only get me PS, and I am assuming that CC/LR would be an additional cost, so my monthly cost would actually be more than $29. In short, Adobe pricing encourages you to buy the full package if one app is not enough. There are almost no reasonable middle ground options except for previous PS users who also want access to LR. If Adobe's offers to encourage new subscribers is that marginal, the cost of looking at alternative products is now quite a bit lower for folks like me.

Regarding slighting due to different pricing, I got over that many years ago when they introduced academic and institutional pricing. I would venture to say that for every person who is taking advantage of this offer from Adobe, and has invested thousands of dollars in prior versions like yourself, there is another person who picked up an affordable copy at a deep discount last year and is also signing up for this offer. IMHO, there is little sense of right or wrong in software sales with respect to fairness. Microsoft makes copies of Office Professional, one of their most exclusive and comprehensive software suites, available to me at $19.99USD because of my employer. Like PS, this is a professional level program and is expensive. And, if you are not eligible for my level of pricing, you could opt for a subscription model ranging in price from $12.50 to $20 per month. While not expensive in an absolute sense, it is not much of a bargain in a direct comparison. I understand this is how business is conducted and market share captured, but it does not generate a whole lot of good will for folks not "in the club". While not everybody can have access to the lowest tier of pricing, nobody wants to be in the highest tier, otherwise know as MSRP. It would be nice if Adobe threw out a few more farily priced middle ground options to grow their customer base.

--Ken

--Ken
I wonder if you could find a legitimate copy of CS5 or CS4 still out there which could be bought cheap (before someone else realizes the implications)? Some camera store with a dusty copy sitting on a shelf perhaps?

I saw an Adobe UK tweet with UK pricing which was £8.78. That's $13.70 at today's rates, so when you take 23% Irish VAT into account (US figures are excluding taxes) and currency fluctuations, that's not miles out.

I'm still waiting to hear if there will be a higher price for the bundle for those who haven't purchased yet - details are still pretty sketchy at the moment, but should be clearer in a couple of weeks.

I saw an Adobe UK tweet with UK pricing which was £8.78. That's $13.70 at today's rates, so when you take 23% Irish VAT into account (US figures are excluding taxes) and currency fluctuations, that's not miles out.

I'm still waiting to hear if there will be a higher price for the bundle for those who haven't purchased yet - details are still pretty sketchy at the moment, but should be clearer in a couple of weeks.

Hi Victoria,

I notice that the Creative Layer blog post has been updated with prices for non-North American customers. Looks like it's £7.14 GBP:

http://blogs.adobe.com/creativelayer/introducing-the-photoshop-photography-program/

Oh that's even better! Doh - PLUS VAT

Last edited:

Thank you for posting these links, Katherine. Have you ordered from either company? I am a bit puzzled as B&H has CS6 on sale for $619 USD, and their prices are very competitve. How is a company able to sell this same package for $369?

--Ken

Replytoken, I haven't ordered software from these guys ... and I wouldn't. I read your thread. I'd stay clear. I think they are pirating ... yep.
I always by my software directly from Adobe and download it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back