• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Creating smart collection that refers to a specific static collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemostrom

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I'm trying to be a good boy and clean up my lightroom catalog a bit. One of the things is to add all interesting photos to a collection ... this worked just fine but when I was going to use these collections for publishing a stumbled across a problem. I've set up the collections in an hierarchical fashion where several collections have the same name, for example "XYZ".

When I create a smart collection in a publish service and tries to set it to use a specific "XYZ" collection as source I end of with photos from all "XYZ" collections. I tried find a way to specify to say "Use the collection in this path "A/B/C/D/XYZ" but I couldn't figure it out. Is it possible?

Do I have to use unique names for the collections to be able to use them in a smart collection or is there a better way?

Collections don't have Paths. Collections can be nested inside a collection set. And Collection sets can be nested inside other Collection sets.

The Criteria:
{Collection}{contains/contains all/Starts with, etc.}{myCollectionName} will match every collection that meets the criteria. So there needs to be something unique about the collection name to get one and only one matching collection.

Because Collections sort based upon the OS sort parameters, I include a decimal structure as a part of my collection name. e.g "02.01.01 - Today CWT" returns images that are in the Current Working Target and have a capture date of today. My Static collection "00.00 - Current Work Target" is the collection references by the Smart Collection above. Because its name begins with "00.00..." it is the very first entry in my Collection panel.

Sorry about not using the proper terminology, with "path" I meant the "path" you travel through the collection sets from the "root" to a specific collection.

Too bad that there is no way the specify a specific collection in a hierarchy. I need to figure out a sensible way to name my collections. A date based naming like yours doesn't really work for the way I want my collection organized.

Thanks.

Sorry about not using the proper terminology, with "path" I meant the "path" you travel through the collection sets from the "root" to a specific collection.

Too bad that there is no way the specify a specific collection in a hierarchy. I need to figure out a sensible way to name my collections. A date based naming like yours doesn't really work for the way I want my collection organized.

Thanks.
Those aren't dates in the name but simply a level structure. For a smart collection beginning "02.01.01..." There is a collection set named "02..." containing a collection set named "02.01..." containing the start collection "02.01.01..."

Ahh, I'll probably use your idea for identification but with a different implementation (for various reasons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back