• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Creating several VC's from a single image; unexpected results

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecox

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  • A client gave me a couple hundred photos to organize and process, but rather than scan each photo individually I scanned 3 at a time, creating 1/3 as many images to import into Lr.
    • for reference, I will call the 8x10 jpg created during the scan "master".
  • I want to create 3 images from the one master; by making 3 VC's.
    • Here's how I thought it would go: In Develop mode
      • Press R
        • select one of the 3 photos on the Master
        • press Ctrl-' to create "Copy 1"
      • without changing the crop
        • Place the cursor inside the crop area and drag the Master image so that the next photo on the Master is inside the crop outline
        • press Ctrl-' to create Copy 2
          • to keep it simple let's say I only want to create a VC of 2 photos in the Master, not all 3.
  • The result I get follow
    • two copies of "copy 1":
      • "copy 2" is the first image I cropped,
        • Draggin the Master to the second photo and hitting Ctrl-' just made another copy of the first phone.
    • In "Library" mode the Master shows Copy 2 highlighted
      • If I press Ctrl-' I get another copy, "copy 3"
      • I end up with copy 1 and 2 being the first photo I cropped and copy 3 being what I thought was going to be copy 2.
  • How do I force Lr to create VC's from the Master image, without leaving the Master image?
  • Is there a way to do this without copy 2 being a duplicate of copy 1?

Using LR, I'd select the master image, hit Ctrl+' three times and then crop each of the three VCs to taste.

Photoshop has a feature that will crop and straighten all the images in one go, but it produces real copies that you'd have to import. It's your choice.

Using LR, I'd select the master image, hit Ctrl+' three times and then crop each of the three VCs to taste.
That makes a lot of sense! Should have thought of that myself /-:

Photoshop has a feature that will crop and straighten all the images in one go, but it produces real copies that you'd have to import. It's your choice.
I like that option as well, but I think VC is better because I can export them in various sizes and resolutions.

Thanks

I like that option as well, but I think VC is better because I can export them in various sizes and resolutions.
So? You can export a tiff from Lightroom in a different size and/or resolution that the original too.

So? You can export a tiff from Lightroom in a different size and/or resolution that the original too.
Ya, kind of 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. Suppose there are +/- on both sides of the issue; I just haven't given it much thought, yet. I'd have to jump into Ps to see.

This what I have done for several years using my scanned photos. I have many thousands of scanned photos and the cropping and editing of each is an ongoing process. I found that it was difficult to keep keep track of where I was and so over time I developed the following protocol :-

1. The original imported scan with multiple photos remains untouched (edit wise). However, I apply the red colour label to all the Masters and I assign keywords "Scanned", "Master" and "Multiple".
2. I create a VC for each of the photos on the Master. I apply the blue colour label and assign keywords "Scanned", "Multiple", "Uncropped", "Virtual_Copy".
3. After cropping I amend the keyword to "Cropped".
4. For scans that only have 1 photo I assign the keyword "Single" instead of "Multiple". For these photos no VC is required and I use the blue colour label.

I use the Library filter to keep track of everything. I know I can probably achieve the same thing using Collections and Smart Collections but the above works for me.

Virtual Copy.

This what I have done for several years using my scanned photos. I have many thousands of scanned photos and the cropping and editing of each is an ongoing process. I found that it was difficult to keep keep track of where I was and so over time I developed the following protocol :-

1. The original imported scan with multiple photos remains untouched (edit wise). However, I apply the red colour label to all the Masters and I assign keywords "Scanned", "Master" and "Multiple".
2. I create a VC for each of the photos on the Master. I apply the blue colour label and assign keywords "Scanned", "Multiple", "Uncropped", "Virtual_Copy".
3. After cropping I amend the keyword to "Cropped".
4. For scans that only have 1 photo I assign the keyword "Single" instead of "Multiple". For these photos no VC is required and I use the blue colour label.

I use the Library filter to keep track of everything. I know I can probably achieve the same thing using Collections and Smart Collections but the above works for me.
I was using ratings but I like the colors option. Also didn't consider keywording; good idea! Thanks Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back