• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Creating correct file name format for synced imports

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvanW

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
When syncing Lightroom mobile photos from iPhone into Lightroom they appear in a separate folder, in my case iPhone-IRW, Imported Photos. I'm happy with this for now, as it keeps then easy to spot. (I am aware of the option to re-direct them straight in to my usual dated folder structure)

The issue I want to tackle is the file name. Because these imported photos arrive via syncing, they "bypasss" the normal Import function of Lightroom, and so don't get renamed in my standard filename format YYYYMMDD-HMS (thanks to VB). So my question is how to create a workflow for these synced photos that renames them automatically to my standard format?

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Not automatically, but very simple nevertheless. Select them all, then choose 'Library - Rename Photos'. You can choose the same preset.

The issue I want to tackle is the file name. Because these imported photos arrive via syncing, they "bypasss" the normal Import function of Lightroom, and so don't get renamed in my standard filename format YYYYMMDD-HMS (thanks to VB). So my question is how to create a workflow for these synced photos that renames them automatically to my standard format?

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Not a suggestion but a question. By "VB" do you mean Visual Basic? If so, do you mean that you have a routine written in Visual Basic that is effectively a plug-in for Lightroom, that renames files for you? Could this routine be used to rename existing files in Lightroom?

Phil Burton

Not a suggestion but a question. By "VB" do you mean Visual Basic? If so, do you mean that you have a routine written in Visual Basic that is effectively a plug-in for Lightroom, that renames files for you? Could this routine be used to rename existing files in Lightroom?

Phil Burton
I apologise for lack of clarity. By VB I meant VictoriaB! I simply was acknowledging
her useful suggestion for standardising filenames - I'm a relative beginner to all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back