• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Creating a Date named folder structure after import (something automatic or semi automatic and not manual)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic v9.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I have created about 700 Virtual copies of my very best images. These are isolated in a static collection and have a common internal (non exportable) keyword. I would like to promote these to be the Master copy and move these master files (along with associated VCs) into a new folder structure separate from my existing date named folder structure. I can't figure put a way to generate the proper date named folder structure and a quick way to move these master files into my new special folder structure.
My goal is to downgrade my existing folder structure and the less important images in it to a reject status and with scrutiny delete the 20,000 minus 700 other images and refine the 7000 sync'd images that are currently in the Adobe cloud.
I have thought about exporting these Virtual copies and then importing the derivatives into the new Date named folder structure and then discarding the derivatives. This would give me the folder structure to be populated with the master image file but no quick automated way to move the promoted image original files. Any clever folks out there that wants a challenge?

Not sure if you already did this part, but to make the VC's into the Masters and the masters into VC's, Select all the VC's either by filtering on the Keyword or using the collection. then us menu "Photo -> Set Copy as Master".

On the 2nd part I don't think there is any automatic or semi automatic method. How granular do you want the date folder structure (folder per year, per month, or per day)? In other words about how many bottom level folders will you need for the 700 images? If the number manageable see if this works. Select "All Photographs" and then filter by the keyword that these images have in common. Set your grid to sort by capture date and your view options to show date. Then select the group of images for the first folder - which will all be together in the grid) and drag to a new folder in the folder panel. Repeat for rest of folders.

Trick: if you want to automate the folder creation, export all the images to a temp folder. Then import them using the desired LR date folder structure (perhaps allow the import of duplicates). This will build the desired date folder structure. Now select all the images just imported and delete them. this will clear the new folder structure but should leave the structure itself.

Not sure if you already did this part, but to make the VC's into the Masters and the masters into VC's, Select all the VC's either by filtering on the Keyword or using the collection. then us menu "Photo -> Set Copy as Master".
Trick: if you want to automate the folder creation, export all the images to a temp folder. Then import them using the desired LR date folder structure (perhaps allow the import of duplicates). This will build the desired date folder structure. Now select all the images just imported and delete them. this will clear the new folder structure but should leave the structure itself.
I already know how to do those things and thought I described the same in my original post. And I know the limitations of LR in this regard. It's the automatic or semi automatic method that I'm looking for. I was hoping for clever folks out there that want a challenge that might be able to come up with something where I have not.

Yes, it would be nice if Adobe provided an after the fact folder restructuring tool, but alas these does not seem to be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back