Creating a collection by month, day but not year

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfaucher

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I want to create a collection by metadata date (month and date only, not year) that spans years. For example I want all photos taken on April 23 for the last 5 years. Why do you ask? I want to look at my bird photos in that way to assess migration patterns. Is there an easy way to do this without creating special metadata fields? Thanks

Users should expect and demand more — and gurus shouldn't apologize for Adobe's corporate laziness on these issues.

Guys, a reminder about the rules of this forum, especially those on venting.

All of the Members, Gurus, Moderators, and Administrators here are volunteers giving freely of their time and expertise to help other users, and work hard to keep a friendly and positive atmosphere that all can enjoy.

We understand that computers and software can often be frustrating, and Lightroom is no exception at times, but whilst venting is understandable, it's not very constructive.

We're pleased to discuss those bugs in order to find workarounds, however we won't allow venting or repeated complaints about Adobe's business decisions. We're a privately run Forum, not affiliated with Adobe, and complaining just creates a negative atmosphere. There are other Forums where that behavior is acceptable, but this is not one of them. We have a lovely atmosphere here, and we appreciate your help in keeping it that way.

I'm posting this publicly, rather than contacting specific users privately, because I've noticed this is general trend recently.

We don't all agree with Adobe's business decisions, or their choices on which features to include, or their choices on which bugs to fix, or how quickly/slowly they do things. That goes without saying.

We each individually made the choice to purchase Lightroom, with all of its faults as well as its great features, and this forum is here to support users in using the software we actually have, not the software we think Adobe should build.

If we don't like Adobe's choices, we can tell them that, via the Official Feature Request/Bug Report Forum or we can move to other software that does suit our needs. Complaining here just creates a negative atmosphere without any benefits.

Last edited:
No problem Kirby, as I said, it's not just you. We all want a positive constructive environment here, and I love that we can all work together to achieve that.

In principle, sure. In practice, Adobe could remove almost all bugs, bring Lightroom completely up-to-date, and still take everyone in the US out to dinner. We're not talking about a small earnest shop like DevonThink or OmniGroup. I posit that the cost of doing a great deal of the work to debug Lightroom and make the user experience "frictionless" is close to trivial to Adobe. And some of the things missing are, again, bog-basic "version 1" features, and many of the user inconveniences should have been "version 2" corrections. Users should expect and demand more — and gurus shouldn't apologize for Adobe's corporate laziness on these issues. Adobe is a colossus — their applications should be _masterful_, exemplary, & consummate. Lightroom is not.

Imagine what photo management software ten of the top contributors to this forum could design and produce with, say, a $50,000,000 budget.
Kirby,

Cletus is right. Adobe management is ultimately responsible to its shareholders. Even "rich" companies don't ever have enough money to fund every possible feature request. I've worked in "rich" tech companies and I know the feeling first-hand. There is also the minor issue of corporate strategy and focus. Also, software development, especially cross-platform is much more expensive than most people realize.

That all said, the recent emergence of new competitors to Lightroom and Photoshop means that some people, including investors, think that there is a market that Adobe isn't serving well. Time will tell.

Phil Burton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back