• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Catalogs Create a New Catalog and Catalog Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemyst

Lightroom Version Number
v12
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I pretty much understand how to create a new catalog (File Menu > New Catalog) bu try concern is maintaining my current Catalog Settings, Identity Plate and keywords. The book discusses a method utilizing a "Template catalog" with my favorite settings - "saved somewhere safe". Can anyone expand on this?

Solution
If your current catalog has all the ID Plates and templates you want, with LrC closed, use File Manager or Finder to make a copy the "*.lrcat" file. Rename this "Catalog Template" (or whatever you want). Then open this catalog and remove - DO NOT DELETE FROM DISK, JUST REMOVE - all the images and folders. Close LrC. Keep the "*.lrcat" file as your template. You cen get rid of other files and folders that start with "Catalog Template" (or whatever name you used).

This method wil retain all your current keywords as well as your ID Plates, collection sets and collections.

Since you master catalog is constantly getting new keywords, collections etc. You don’t really need a stored template.
Just used Dan’s method to create an empty...
Create a new catalog, and change the catalog settings to what you want. This will be your template. Every time you want to create a new catalog with these settings, you make a copy of this catalog and use that copy rather than make a new catalog from scratch.

Keywords can be imported and exported, so you can save your current keywords as a text file and import them in the new catalog. You can also save the template with keywords already imported, of course. Same thing with an identity plate.

If your current catalog has all the ID Plates and templates you want, with LrC closed, use File Manager or Finder to make a copy the "*.lrcat" file. Rename this "Catalog Template" (or whatever you want). Then open this catalog and remove - DO NOT DELETE FROM DISK, JUST REMOVE - all the images and folders. Close LrC. Keep the "*.lrcat" file as your template. You cen get rid of other files and folders that start with "Catalog Template" (or whatever name you used).

This method wil retain all your current keywords as well as your ID Plates, collection sets and collections.

Since you master catalog is constantly getting new keywords, collections etc. You don’t really need a stored template.
Just used Dan’s method to create an empty clone of your current master catalog every time you want to duplicate your master catalog with a new catalog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Solution
Just used Dan’s method to create an empty clone of your current master catalog every time you want to duplicate your master catalog with a new catalog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank all of you for your input - I hope I won't need to do this again - but incase I do - I have a process that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back