Crazy crash of LR5 appears to have taken out my catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roscoe17

So I was editing several old folders of pictures when suddenly it froze. When I tried to quit, it told me that it was writing xmp files and asked if I wanted to wait. There was no progress bar or anything indicating it was doing anything. Finally it stopped responding. I force-quit it (OS X Version) and when I reopened it, it couldn't find any picture. All folders were grayed out. The main pane is showing "loading" and hasn't stopped in some time. Not sure what to do at this point. I could dump the catalog and reimport my LR4 catalog but I'd lose several hours of re-work (I've discovered that I really like the updated clone healer).

Ideas?

OK, so I tried to open the LR 4 catalog and it is now hung up trying to close the new one. Is there a way to force it to open a catalog without opening one (bad) first? iTunes for example can be control-opened (?) and it opens without loading the library, prompting you for the one you want.

Lightroom has the same functionality. Press and hold the Cmd/Ctrl button while starting Lightroom and you should the "Select Catalog" dialog.

OK, so I did that and told it to reopen the LR 4 catalog and LR is hanging now on the "Catalog Upgrade in progress" box. I wonder if LR5 itself may have gotten dorked.

There have been a few reports of the catalog upgrade taking a very long time (many, many hours) due to the fact that it is reading all the original files to gather some additional information (bit depth, colour profile) which will be available as Smart Collection search criteria. If the files are on a slow connection it could take a while. How long has the upgrade been running?

There have been a few reports of the catalog upgrade taking a very long time (many, many hours) due to the fact that it is reading all the original files to gather some additional information (bit depth, colour profile) which will be available as Smart Collection search criteria. If the files are on a slow connection it could take a while. How long has the upgrade been running?
I finally gave up and rebooted. Then it cleared up.

Are any of the originals on external drives? Possible they'd gone to sleep and the reboot woke them up?

According to your profile, you are still on version 3.3. You should update your information. It will help others trying to diagnose your problems if you are unfortunate enough to have any more.

Just thought I would share on this issue. I have about 50,000 images in my LR 4 catalog. I was expecting an overnight upgrade when I installed LR 5, based on the experiences shared here. I started the process and left the room for about 10 minutes, and when I came back, it was done.

My initial install of LR 5 over LR4.1 was very fast. Over time it became unstable and dumped. Rebooted and reimported my LR4.1 catalog and all is better

Hold that thought. I reopened LR5 but the NAS (like many times before) was dropped from the system so the pictures could not be found. I re-awoke the NAS and all was good again but LR was showing an error I'd never seen before on the previously selected file (i.e. the file I was working on when I quit LR the time before). LR said that "an unexpected end-of-file occurred. I removed the offending picture from the catalog and reimported it (thinking it may be a catalog issue) and the error still persists. No other file was affected, just the one that was selected when I opened LR. I'm starting to worry that LR is trashing my files (even though Finder showed the original date on the NEF file).

So I opened LR 4 and went to the same folder and similar thing happened. I'm beginning to agree with others and think my NAS and/or drives are starting to go bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back