Countermeasure against Flattening by Lifting Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.

b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
This is the first time I've developed a big batch of images using PV2012. I notice that by lifting the shadows, the images tend to flatten out. What is generally speaking the best slider to compensate for this flattening? Is it Contrast?

Beat

That is an interesting article.

Beat, yes, by lifting the shadows, it's flattening the midtone contrast slightly, and since the contrast slider affects midtone contrast, it's a good way to bring it back. Tweaking the tone curve gives you a lot more control, of course, but if you're trying to do a decent sized batch, the contrast slider is a pretty good compromise between speed and control.

Thanks Robert and Victoria!

Beat

Beat

I'm currently working on some pictures of aircraft against an overcast sky and found the same. I've been getting round it by adding clarity and making further adjustments in the tone curve including moving the adjustment points so that in Shadows & Darks I am adjusting a narrower range:

Shadow.JPG

I start with Auto which I find reduces contrast - if i try adding it back the shadows become too dark again whereas clarity gives a better result.

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks for the hints, Paul.

Beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back