Couldn't find pictures...now showing zero????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roscoe17

I have a continuing issue where my NAS seems to disappear, and that's where I store all of my processed pictures. I just opened Lightroom and saw the stupid question marks on the whole drive. What I normally do is just open Finder (OS X) and navigate to the NAS share with the photos. That wakes up the connection and Lightroom is happy. This time I thought I try something...locate picture. I found one that was "lost" and navigated to what I still think is the correct location. When I selected the missing photo and hit the button, the folder suddenly showed that it contains zero pictures. I don't use XMP, so I can't just reimport them...how do I recover the edits that are stored with those photos?

I should add, these were edited some time ago so they should be in an older backed up catalog. How do I pull that info out of a backup and merge it with the current catalog?

If you go to All Photographs, what do you see?

Hal

Sounds like you've got good backups, so definitely no need to panic.

I'd also like to see a screenshot of the Folders panel to spot the problem.

If you go to All Photographs, what do you see?
Odd...they are showing up in All Photographs. Nice catch. How do I get them back?

Sounds like you've got good backups, so definitely no need to panic.

I'd also like to see a screenshot of the Folders panel to spot the problem.
The zero numbers in the year folders can be ignored (I have the option to add up subfolders turned off). The folder called Hannah Easter used to have 25 pictures. When the question marks appear as shown here it means in my case that the NAS has (for as yet unexplained reasons) gone offline. When I right clicked on a missing image and said "find it", I did and selected it (the process of navigating to the NAS usually "wakes" it up and all the pictures show up again)...excpet when I did the folder contents disappeared and the number dropped to zero.

Lightroom-screen-shot.png

Now I see something weird. The NAS sometimes shows up twice (I think it depends on how I access it, AFP, CIFS, etc). Hannah's pictures are in another "Photos" section which was lower in the panel and not visible at the time. So here's the new question. When I right click on the top section header "Photos" finder goes to a volume mounted to the "Macintosh HD".When I right click on the lower section header "Photos" finder goes to the NAS directly. They are physically the same drive but logically mapped different. I tried copying the photos from one to the other and it said the photos were already there. But the catalog (with all the photo data stored) has them in the wrong place. How do I fix this within LR? Or am I going to have to physically move them (confusing LR in the process) and then "find them" again"

This NAS is driving me crazy...

Last edited:
Ah, yes, that sounds familiar. Ok, all we need to do is merge the 2 drives back together, and then get them back out from under Volumes. Let's have full Folders panel screenshots of both NAS drives, and we can fix that no trouble.

Thanks Victoria...since it was just the one folder, I was able to manhandle it back into place. It wasn't pretty though :)

That said, I'd be interested in knowing how you would have done it.

(Note I've turned off the AFP protocol to prevent this from happening again)

Is it still stuck under volumes, or is that back as a separate drive now?

I moved it to a folder on my desktop, then to the "correct" logical drive. It has happened before, but a reboot usually fixed it.

Ok, if you get stuck again, you just have to 'add parent folder' until everything disappears, hold your breath, and reopen LR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back