• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Could not complete the folder move. An unknown error occurred

Status
Not open for further replies.

jane.kerr

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 12.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I had individual folders for most of the days in May (called May 01, May 02 etc.). This morning I created a new folder called "05 May", selected all of the individual folders and dragged them to the new folder with the mouse. I got the "Could not complete the folder move ..." error box twice, and when the move had finished, I found all the individual folders except May 05 and May 07 had been moved.
I have since restarted LR and tried to move these folders again, but get the same error box every time.
The folders are actually in the location LR thinks they are on disk (see screenshot from Windows Explorer).
Any ideas?

1685791762998.png
1685791844937.png

1685792185741.png

Attachments

• 1685792178091.png
    1685792178091.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 47
To get it done, try creating new folders where you want, and then dragging the photos over into them.

You'll probably find one photo or video will be causing the error, and sometimes this is because LR is building its preview. Waiting a moment can help.

To get it done, try creating new folders where you want, and then dragging the photos over into them.

You'll probably find one photo or video will be causing the error, and sometimes this is because LR is building its preview. Waiting a moment can help.
I waited hours but still got the same error. Creating new folders & dragging, as you suggested, did work though. Thanks.

Try doing the operation when LR isn't running. For safety's sake. make a backup in a folder with an entirely different name. Then MOVE the relevant folders using Windows File Explorer.

Now restart LR. It will report missing photos. Victoria has an excellent blog post on how to "recover" the missing photos. DO NOT reimport the photos into Lightroom.

Once everything is working right, do a catalog backup. Then delete that safety backup folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back