• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Corruption of Windows 10 and Lightroom Classic CC 7.1 following updates. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarshaLevine

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System:
Dell XPS 9700, Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @3.60GHz 3.60 GHz; Installed RAM 16.0 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor; Windows 10 64-bit; Version: 10 or greater 10.0.16299.15. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 / Version= 23.21.13.8859.
Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.0 20171103.r.190 2017/11/03: 1143799 x64
Exact Lightroom Version: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC; ver 7.1.0.10

Following on from updates to Dell, Windows and Adobe CC, both Windows and Lightroom CC Classic have become corrupted. Lr is unable to read recently saved catalogs. I believe that this happened after the upgrade to Lr Classic CC 7.1.

The apparent order of events was as follows:

1. I noticed that the active monitor profile on 14 Dec 2017 was not my most recent. Moreover i1profiler couldn’t see my monitor. When I tried to re-profile the monitor, the calibration software, i1profiler, wouldn’t work.

2. I was advised to update my graphics processor. With help from NVIDIA I did this.

3. Then I re-profiled the monitor and edited a file in Lightroom, apparently successfully (16 Dec).

4. When I finished I turned Power to Sleep. But the computer tried to turn itself back on but not very successfully. The Dell logo came up and the circling ring of circles, but it got no further than that (all night).

5. With difficulty, I rebooted the computer a couple of times. Finally it informed me that it was corrupted and needed to go back to an earlier point. It did that and restarted. The correct monitor profile was still showing.

6. I clicked on Lr Classic CC 7.1. And it instantly crashed and told me that my catalog was corrupted and, ignoring all my recent backups, gave me the option of opening two very old catalogs which would have lost me 2-12 months of work. My most recent backup dates 13 Dec 2017.

7. When I tried to open a more recent catalog, Lr opened but it couldn’t see the catalog. I got an error message: ‘assertion failed’. Lr invited me to send them a crash report which I did (23 Dec, I think). I have had no response so far.

8. I suspect that all of this happened after I updated to Lr Classic CC 7.1. But there were also Windows and Dell updates around the same time.

9. What can I do now? Should I reinstall Lr? I have never before needed to do that. Are there any recent instructions about how to do it.

Thanks for your reply. I have already seen the link you have included here but I am very nervous about going into the registry. I have been using computers for a long time but I am no wizz. Also, I'm wondering if that repair method works with Window10 and Lr Classic CC, which are what I use. Also, I don't use the Windows Libraries if I can avoid it. I have put my Lr catalog in my own folder in C:. So, there is a folder called Pictures and it has what it thinks is a Lr catalog, but it's not my catalog and I don't want my catalog there. My more recent catalogs, including backups, are together in the folder in C:. The images in my catalog are on an external hard drive, a Drobo.

I just want to thank you again crisokkat for your suggestion. In the end I got help from the Adobe support chat. He/she took two hours to fix it. It appears that the last Windows update caused Lightroom to look in the wrong folder for my catalog, which seems to agree with the link you sent. The Adobe person moved my catalog to the folder that Lr wanted to find the catalog in. Your link was doing the opposite. I suspect that the only advantage for the route I was put on was the fact that I had someone doing it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back