• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

Corrupt Catalog with no backup

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Yeah, that's fine torrieri, but just to set expectations, catalogs from drive recovery software are usually mangled beyond repair.

TonyD315

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Victoria,
Hi, I stumbled across this thread while desperately searching for how to repair a corrupted catalog for Lightroom 5, are you still able to try and help? If so what exactly do I need to do? I'm not sure what file to zip and email to you. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
You'll need to find your catalog Tony. By default it'd be in your Pictures folder. It'll have a .lrcat extension. That's the file I need you to upload.

rpatershuk

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
5.x
Hi Victoria, I just sent an email to "uploads" a rather large 5.7 catalog file after archiving (with instructions). Seems my backups were corrupt and I'm about to lose a large number of edits. Hope you can help!

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Victoria, I just sent an email to "uploads" a rather large 5.7 catalog file after archiving (with instructions). Seems my backups were corrupt and I'm about to lose a large number of edits. Hope you can help!
Emailed back, the 7zip is corrupted so no joy so far.

CharlieintheTree

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Victoria, I just followed the directions about uploading the corrupt LR catalog to see if you or your Magician can help. Over 10 years of using LR, first time I have encountered this. I stopped doing backups a couple of years ago. Horrible choice! I'm using Lightroom Classic CC if that matters. Thanks so much for your help!

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Charlie. Got it, and forwarded it to the magician. Fair warning however, it didn't look promising as I couldn't open it in a database editor. I do hope you're still backing everything else up. Really no backups anywhere?!

CharlieintheTree

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Charlie. Got it, and forwarded it to the magician. Fair warning however, it didn't look promising as I couldn't open it in a database editor. I do hope you're still backing everything else up. Really no backups anywhere?!
Wow thank you for the quick response. I actually was able to fix it! I created and edited SQL from the catalog file after watching a tutorial I Googled and luckily got it working again.

And I just created a new backup! I start a new catalog each year and my last backup was in 2016. I'm horrible, I know. I'm a changed man after tonight's freak out. Thanks again for the prompt response. You are awesome!

roggeror

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Victoria,

I am hoping it is OK to ask you to have your magician friend at Adobe look at my corrupt catalog with hopes of repair. my son is a photography student and has spent countless hours editing in lightroom classic cc and we didn't back up the catalog (shame on us) and it is all of a sudden corrupt, and it would mean the world to us if you could help. All of his assignments and portfolio for college are in this catalog. With hope you can assist, I have followed the instructions you posted and it is on its way to you. We are so thankful for your assistance!!!!

Thank You!!
Ray

roggeror

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Victoria, I thionk i may have fixed it. I followed the instructions at this site: Recover A Corrupted Unrepairable Lightroom 3 Catalog With SQLite | More Photography Tips | Photography Blog, Camera Gear Reviews & Photography Tips by Ness BUT since i recieved so many errors it rsulted in a 0kb .lrcat file. BUT it found this site: Recovering corrupt Lightroom catalogs WHICH suggested t edit the .SQL text file and replace the
"ROLLBACK; — due to errors" with the line: COMMIT TRANSACTION; I then reran step two from first site and it worked....happiness!!!! sharing in case others want to try.

LRList001

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Hi Victoria, I thionk i may have fixed it. I followed the instructions at this site: Recover A Corrupted Unrepairable Lightroom 3 Catalog With SQLite | More Photography Tips | Photography Blog, Camera Gear Reviews & Photography Tips by Ness BUT since i recieved so many errors it rsulted in a 0kb .lrcat file. BUT it found this site: Recovering corrupt Lightroom catalogs WHICH suggested t edit the .SQL text file and replace the
"ROLLBACK; — due to errors" with the line: COMMIT TRANSACTION; I then reran step two from first site and it worked....happiness!!!! sharing in case others want to try.
Next: Do a full 'Optimize catalogue'. Indeed, I would be minded to create a new catalogue and migrate everything to the new one (though there are downsides to doing this too). Once corrupted, a database becomes suspect. Just because it passes the checks that LR can do, does not 100% mean it has all your correct data in the right places, it means that the rules LR applies to check the data are passed, no more.
For something as critical as a student dissertation, consider keeping the parallel XMP (sidecar) files somewhere else too (as well as the source files).