Corrupt catalog question

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveF

Hello,

Had my first stumble with LR yesterday. Still LR 1.2

I have two catalogs. The second one is Family.lrcat. On opening it I got an error message that the catalog was corrupt and could not be backed up.

If I hit ok then I'm in LR. All the photos seem to be there, cataloged, metadataed, etc. I can search them, etc. i.e. to my eye the catalog seems fine. I can even do Apple-S and update the metadata of a file.

I went to the backup drive where LR had been doing the backups. I copied the Family.ircat file from a few days ago (when there wasn't an error) and then pasted that into the directory LR is using (after re-naming the lrcat file there).

When I open it it tells me that this lrcat file is corrupt and cannot be backed up. This seems odd, since it had no problems a few days ago. It too appears to work just fine.

I tried the same with a Family.lrcat file from a few weeks ago - same error.

My other catalog loads, backs up, works just fine.

Before I just deleted the Family.lrcat catalog and re-created it (all the actual files are, of course, safe and backed up redundantly elsewhere) I thought I'd see if folks here had other fixes I might try.

thanks,

I'd back it up, and update to 1.3. There's some new catalog repair tools which may fix it up for you.

Sure enough, that worked. Thanks for the tip - much less of a hassle than making the catalog again.

When I opened LR 1.3 a window came up telling me that the catalog was corrupt and that it was going to attempt to repair it. Repair worked fine.

That's great to hear the new catalog corruption repair is working so well!

corrupt catalog

Hey, I am brand new to Lightroom. Only just installed it and looking at the modules etc. Then had a blip in the power supply. I am now getting "corrupt catalog".
What does that mean and what do I do? Please.

If you haven't imported any files into your catalog yet Pedro, I'd just go to File > New Catalog and then delete the old one.

Pedro, Mac or Windows?

If a Mac, hold the Option key while Lightroom starts up. This will bring up a dialog where you can create a new catalog, test the integrity of the current catalog, etc.

I assume there's a way to do the same on Windows. Hold the Alt key, maybe? [Don says it's Control on Windows.]

Control Key for Windows, Mark.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back