• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Correcting Chromatic Aberration MUCH More Easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rconn

I have been engaged in adding a set of 'Develop Presets' for my "Pet" lens (Pentax DA* 16-5'mm f/2.8 on a K1'D ) which is very sharp but like most wide range zooms it has some varying Chromatic Aberration (CA) in the corners, especially wide open.

I have taken a series of shots of some eucalypts at a set of focal lengths at one stop steps at each of these focal length settings. I then correct for CA in Lightroom and save just the CA slider settings under focal length + aperture titles. These enable me to instantly almost completely fix new images just by applying the nearest matching preset.

The only problem is getting the optimum correction, working with the foliage, due to some purple fringing and interaction of the colour fringes in the two sliders (viewing at 2''%).

In the Planet Photoshop site tips list I discovered this, http://www.planetphotoshop.com/slide-away-the-aberrations.html re correction in Photoshop Camera RAW which also applies to Lightroom
icon_biggrin.gif

Edited for Lightroom it comes out as,

If you see areas of bright-colored fringe appearing around corner objects in your photos, you’re suffering from Chromatic Aberration.

Under Lens Correction in Develop, there are two sliders (Red/Cyan and Blue/Yellow) that you let you slide those problems away. But seeing the problem clearly enough to eliminate the fringe is your first challenge.

That’s why you’ll want to know this tip: If you hold the Option key (PC: Alt key) while you’re dragging either Chromatic Aberration slider, it will only show the two channels you’re adjusting in the preview area, making it VERY much easier to see the fringing, and thus repair the problem.

Especially when you are working as I am at 2''% magnification this tip works superbly well and I strongly commend it
icon_biggrin.gif

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back