• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalogs Correct Installation of New LR CC/Classic to New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewjmarino

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System: Windows 10
Lightroom Version: New CC/Classic Version
Correct Installation Steps Please, Sorry for a lot of questions

Hello
I have just bought a new laptop as well as downloaded - but not yet installed - the newest version of LR CC/Classic/Photoshop.
I have moved my photos to my D drive on my laptop, but not yet moved my catalog.
I have ZERO interest in using the Creative Cloud - I only want to use Lightroom "Clasic" and occasionally Photoshop.
If I understand correctly the correct installation procedure for a new computer should be
Copy Photos to new computer > Install LR/PS > Copy Catalog > LInk LR to Catalog

The Adobe Website page says this:

1) Locate and open the Lightroom_Set-Up.exe file (done)

2) Follow a few simple steps to install both Lightroom CC and the Creative Cloud desktop app (not yet done)

3) To install the other apps in your plan, go to the Creative Cloud desktop app (not yet done)

Now my questions

1) Is this telling me that I have to install the Creative Cloud? Is there a way to deactivate it, or simply not use it?

2) To install the " other apps"
Do they mean LR Classic and Photoshop? Why are they calling them apps and not programs? These are the latest, full programs, aren't they?

3) If I follow their steps will a new folder be created to then copy my catalog into?
Any idea what this new folder is called if there is one created?
I assume that the software will be installed on my C/Operating Drive

4) Do I only need to copy my latest Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat?
I also have a Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata folder. Do I need to copy that also?

Thanks for any help
Andrew

The Adobe Creative Cloud App manager is the tiny little program that runs in the background that verifies that your subscription current and lets you know if there are any updates to the apps in your License. If you install that you can then let the Adobe Creative Cloud App manager install Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. You might want to install bridge but unless you have a use for it you really won't need it. If you are not going to use the cloud storage, then you do not need LightroomCC. Once you have these two basic apps installed, you need to copy the latest Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat file and to speed things up, the Lightroom 5 Catalog Previews.lrdata folder. LR will create and populate this previews folder if it is not present but if it is, Lightroom 7(Classic) will rename and use it for your previews when you convert your LR5 catalog file to the LR7 structure. The Catalog file and the Previews folder can be anywhere in a folder on a local drive. If you choose the LR default folder it is named "Lightroom: and is a sub folder of your Pictures folder. Your images are in folders on your old computer and the relative path to them for the catalog file should remain consistent when these are copied to the new computer. If they are not, then you will need to re associate these previously imported images in the catalog Do not reimport.

You have to install the Creative Cloud application. However, there you can go to settings/preferences and disable all functions related to cloud storage/synchronization/launch at startup, etc.
In your Adobe account you can also change your data privacy settings and disable machine learning.

Thank you for the well-written explanation. From what I can tell, I've got LR Classic up and running - all my photos and editing work seems to have survived intact.
Naturally, though, I didn't follow your order and forgot to add the Catalog and Previews Data folder before adding my Master Photos folder to LR. So, upon adding to LR all my photos regenerated previews (Build Previews) which took quite some time. I guess it's good that I didn't have too many photos!
I didn't know if I could have stopped the process and then added the Previews Data folder so I just let it run. I ended up with 2 Catalog and Previews folder names in the Lightroom Pictures folder, but I double-checked and kept the correctly named and associated files/folders and it seems stable and ok.
And, I ran a backup so I have a new beginning point there.
Another thing I forgot to copy or it didn't copy over(?) is my preferences. I don't have any of my User Presets for printing etc. But, I'm ok with setting up new presets and cleaning up things.
So, in the end, I guess it's all ok. I have a new LR file/folder structure on a new laptop and it seems to be working.

Thanks
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back