• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

copyright symbol, windows 10, no numeric keypad laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhsiu

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi,
I just got a new Dell laptop without numeric keypad running Windows 10, and I am having a hard time adding the copyright symbol. I tried both the ALT + 169 and ALT + 0169 (this one is what works on my desktop) using the number keys on the top row of the keyboard) and it just beeps. Please help. Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forum. On some laptops the numeric keypad is embedded in the Qwerty keyboard somewhere around U-P-B-M You need to press the {Fn} key along with the {Alt} key to create the © symbol.
Embedded_Keypad_2.JPG

I think the alt 0169 only works with the numeric keyboard . At least that is the way it works on my full keyword (Win 10) ©

As a work around .... can you cut and paste the symbol from somewhere else.

Here it is (if any use in the interim) ©

The Charmap utility (still present in Windows after all these years) will allow you to copy and paste any glyph in the font - regardless of whether it has a keystroke combination or not.

Click [Windows] and type Charmap...

Welcome to the forum. On some laptops the numeric keypad is embedded in the Qwerty keyboard somewhere around U-P-B-M You need to press the {Fn} key along with the {Alt} key to create the © symbol.
Embedded_Keypad_2.JPG
Thank you. My keyboard didn't have that and I tried it already, it didn't work. But thank you very much.

I think the alt 0169 only works with the numeric keyboard . At least that is the way it works on my full keyword (Win 10) ©

As a work around .... can you cut and paste the symbol from somewhere else.

Here it is (if any use in the interim) ©
Thank you very much. Yeah, the Alt 0169 only works with numeric keyboard. I copy and pasted your copyright sign. Thank you.

The Charmap utility (still present in Windows after all these years) will allow you to copy and paste any glyph in the font - regardless of whether it has a keystroke combination or not.

Click [Windows] and type Charmap...
Thank you. Ok, I found the map following your instruction. Thanks. I guess that is the only fix for now. Thank you.

Like the OP, my new Dell xps13 [ALT+0169] shortcut does not work, and it does not have a numeric or embedded keypad.
(In MS-Word the [CTRL+ALT+C] shortcut still works.)
I have seen Rikk's character map suggestion previously and appreciate his forum posts.
Upon Rikk's suggestion I have created a windows shortcut to the Character Map and pinned it to the desktop, so two mouse clicks gets me Charmap ( Taskbar Desktop / Charmap Icon) where I can copy any symbol from fonts. Great :cool2:

ScreenShot008.jpg ScreenShot006.jpg

Like the OP, my new Dell xps13 [ALT+0169] shortcut does not work, and it does not have a numeric or embedded keypad.
(In MS-Word the [CTRL+ALT+C] shortcut still works.)
I have seen Rikk's character map suggestion previously and appreciate his forum posts.
Upon Rikk's suggestion I have created a windows shortcut to the Character Map and pinned it to the desktop, so two mouse clicks gets me Charmap ( Taskbar Desktop / Charmap Icon) where I can copy any symbol from fonts. Great :cool2:

View attachment 8654 View attachment 8655
Thank you. What a wonderful idea. I just did the same. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back