• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Copyright info from camera is appearing differently from camera settings.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
10.3 Release Camera RAW 13.3. Build 202105281559-8dc50eb4
Operating System
  1. macOS 11.0 Big Sur
  2. iOS
This is a strange question. I thought originally that I had a camera problem. I use a Canon EOS 5D IV. I have copyright info set up in the camera, so that my copyright and the year is included in the metadata. Recently I noticed in Lightroom (both Classic on my iMac and mobile on my iPad and iPhone) that the metadata was showing as ‘Copyright Martin Owen 2020. All rights reserved’. I thought I had changed that at the beginning of the year to simply ‘Copyright Martin Owen 2021’. Checking the camera I found that the old setting was still there. No matter, I changed it. On searching through the menu on the camera the ‘display copyright info’ setting is now showing ‘Martin Owen 2021’. However any images imported into Lightroom either through the iPad or direct into the iMac are still showing the old copyright info for 2020.

Having changed everything on the camera numerous times but with no change, I have contacted Canon help who are as puzzled as I am. They have suggested various fixes, but nothing changes. The camera menu is showing the correct 2021 info, but imported images show the 2020 info. BTW images imported from my iPhone have the correct 2021 copyright info.

I then imported the same image directly into Apple Photos and using an app called Photo Investigator checked the copyright info in the metadata. This showed the correct 2021 info that the camera menu has. So, it would appear that the metadata in the image is correct, but importing into Lightroom (both mobile and Classic) results in the old copyright info being recorded.

I‘ve deleted and reinstalled the mobile app, but nothing has changed.

I can’t see any way of the wrong info being put into either mobile of classic, so am totally confused as to what’s happening. It does appear it’s not a camera issue, but only seems to crop up in Lightroom - both mobile and classic.

Any ideas anyone? Am I being very dim and not seeing something obviou?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
In Lightroom Settings on your iPad, go to the Import Settings. Look to see if the "Add Copyright" is selected. This may be part of your problem If you import from Lightroom on the iMac, you might want to verify it's "Add Copyright" information.

When Importing directly to the Lightroom Classic catalog, make sure that you are not including a metadata preset that might need correcting.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Thanks Cletus. I’ve tried with both the “Add copyright” setting on and off. The add copyright in mobile would be ‘Martin Owen 2021’. It makes no difference. The copyright metadata always shows as ‘Copyright c 2020 Martin Owen. All rights reserved’ which is the original, old phrase from the camera. That phrase doesn’t exist any more in the camera, or on any versions of Lightroom. When I check the embedded metadata from Apple Photos the correct ‘Martin Owen 2021’ shows. If I then import that image from ‘camera roll’ into Lightroom, the old original phrase turns up. I just can’t see where it’s coming from.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Thanks Cletus. I’ve tried with both the “Add copyright” setting on and off. The add copyright in mobile would be ‘Martin Owen 2021’. It makes no difference. The copyright metadata always shows as ‘Copyright c 2020 Martin Owen. All rights reserved’ which is the original, old phrase from the camera. That phrase doesn’t exist any more in the camera, or on any versions of Lightroom. When I check the embedded metadata from Apple Photos the correct ‘Martin Owen 2021’ shows. If I then import that image from ‘camera roll’ into Lightroom, the old original phrase turns up. I just can’t see where it’s coming from.

Look for a metadata preset in the import panel of Lightroom Classic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
after you take a photo, copy the photo to a folder on your hard drive (not using LrC). Then use Canon's DPP software to look at the metadata in the image. If it's the 2021 version then the camera is doing the correct thing. If it's the 2020 info then the problem is in the camera.

Once you verify that the problem is Not the camera, import the image into LrC using the "add" option. Assure that you don't use any "apply on import" presets or any 3rd party profiles. See what hapens.

Last edited:
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Thanks. Yes, I have imported a photo into DPP and the 2021 phrase is there. So, as you say, it’s not the camera.

I have the ‘default’ metadata on import and it’s coming up with the old 2020 phrase. However I can’t see where it’s getting it from! Similarly I can’t see where mobile is getting that particular phrase from either.

It’s a puzzle, but not the most important thing in life. I can specify a particular phrase in Classic on import, although I’ll need to dig into mobile to see what I can change there. Just not sure why it’s not using the metadata from the camera ;)

Thank you both.