• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Copy photos to another harddrive /SSD within LR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadine

Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 11.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Hi there,
I bought a SSD as a new storage place for my photos. However, I would like to COPY - and not MOVE - the photos to the new location. So that in case the SSD breaks, I can temporarily use the old external harddrive and LR will still "know" where my images are on that drive. How can I copy my images/folders from my exernal harddrive to my new SSD within LR? Cheers, Nadine

You cannot do it within LrC - The folder panel allows you only to move photos between locations.

It’s also a bad idea to have the same photos as duplicates, referenced twice within LrC.

You should use a backup app that regularly copies the folder structure from one disk to the other disk, outside LrC. All your photo folders should be ideally be under a master parent folder: for example SSDdisk\MyPHOTOS
LrC should reference just this folder and its subfolders. The backup app will sync everything to BackUpDisk\MyPhotos.

If the SSDdisk stops working you will right click on the “missing” MyPhotos folder in LrC’s folder panel and set it to point to the BackUpDisk\MyPhotos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cannot do it within LrC - The folder panel allows you only to move photos between locations.

It’s also a bad idea to have the same photos as duplicates, referenced twice within LrC.

You should use a backup app that regularly copies the folder structure from one disk to the other disk, outside LrC. All your photo folders should be ideally be under a master parent folder: for example SSDdisk\MyPHOTOS
LrC should reference just this folder and its subfolders. The backup app will sync everything to BackUpDisk\MyPhotos.

If the SSDdisk stops working you will right click on the “missing” MyPhotos folder in LrC’s folder panel and set it to point to the BackUpDisk\MyPhotos.

Ok, thanks, that makes sense! Is there a backup app that you can recommend? Thanks again, Nadine

Are you on macOS or Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back