Ian.B

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 5
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Yep; I broke it again . With a new PC I thought it a good time to sort out /reduce the keywords and while it has been going well I have a problem now of missing one repaired/sorted Hierarchy + keywords --- don't ask how as I have no idea ; naturally it has to be adobe's fault :sneaky: . However; all those unsorted keywords are still in an older (two days) catalog.

So I was wondering if it's possible to copy / export only that older unsorted hierarchy + keywords and import those into the latest catalog ?
Yes; I could lose some more (unimportant) recent pics/edits by going back the older catalog and redo the work --- retired now time is free!
No idea if that makes sense .
Your thoughts and /or links would be appreciated
Cheers :)

Er..... talk us through what you actually did?

Victoria; if I knew what I did ; I could likely fix it :whistling: . PS -- sorry; should have stopped here! :cool:

This might give others a few ideas of what and what not to do.
I had let Lr stuff get a bit (big bit) out of hand so am spending a lot of time sorting it out, even if I am not sure why I'm bothering . Some of that mess started when experimenting with different programs that didn't support Lr hierarchies . (many other programs do not support Lr collections
The main drama was having too many keywords that basically meant the same thing . There were also duplicated hierarchy sets. I have manually combined matching or similar keywords to a point of having a more understandable one word headings, hierarchies, and keywords.

While doing the sort out, I actually started a new list of simpler keywords :eek: under "_General" for any new photos. I will likely continue to use that far simpler new list for all new photos . BTW ; most of my pics are not important now --- just something I still like to do.

Will also move from the older pre-Lr dated folders towards a more subject based folder system.
Much of this is for a post lightroom time if that happens; but for now Lr5 is still the better for me even with its mine fields .

For those really new to all this. Only have ONE catalog ----- just ONE catalog!!
It's very important to understand the Lr way and get a photo organizing system in place from the start. And just like your home ; the system will need maintenance and cleaning with everything having a place and everything in its place (no; my home is not like that!!).

Off topic -- Do yourself a favor. Don't get into arguments and beat yourself up to whether a photo is a 1 star; or 4 stars ; or perhaps just a 2 1/2 stars. For me; the photo is IN (flagged) , or OUT (Xed / deleted), or maybes that will likely never see the back of the screen again. Try using stars and flags for the editing done ;) The "~" key will add / remove flags --- you don't learn that in books / videos :)

If I may Victoria ; I picked a few tips and ideas for this article
Keywords Lesson #6: How to Use Hierarchical Keywords In Lightroom .
remove/replace if need be :)

There are still thousands of old work photos; including aerial photos on older hard drives. When / IF I get to them they will be in separate catalog so the newer system is affected with those wild keywords . And then there are boxes of personal and work negatives and trannies/slides -- Bugga them!!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back