• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

copy entire publishing service (settings) between catalogues

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMtB-TLQ

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
most recent
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
In my main catalog I have spent quite a bit of time setting up different publishing services (websites, Instagram, Irista etc.).
Now I want to publish some pictures residing in another catalog. but the publishing services there seem to have to be setup all over again....
Shouldn't be hard to grab&copy their settings, or link the other catalog to them. To be clear: I am not looking for the "Create another Publish Service",
because that does not help if you want to use the same settings/locations to publish.

The Publish Service settings are stored in the catalog file. There is no mechanism to transfer these to another catalog. Probably one of the reasons that it is recommended to have one and only one master catalog. Your solution is to use the Export as a Catalog function to create a catalog of the images that you wish to publish. Then in the Master catalog with the publish Services intact, use the Import for another catalog to import this exported catalog and them publish these images.

While there is not a way to do this built into Lightroom there is a plugin that will do this, lrvoyager from alloyphoto.com.

As Cletus says it still is advisable to generally keep a one catalog workflow as that is the easiest way to work. But if you really need to move your published services then this is the tool.

Read the documentation and proceed cautiously after a full backup.

-louie

Sorry, editing the above timed-out, so here's another try:

Thank you both very much.
High time this shortcoming was fixed because there obviously is no good reason not to.

I never understood the one catalog philosophy, as long as thousands of pictures keep getting reported as missing (the infamous!) either because of NAS storage re-connection issues or temporary off-lineness of separate media, and take hours to find and "un-exclamate" even though their location is known exactly.

Lightroom itself would seem unattractive as a Publishing Service because of it's all-or-nothing approach to separately protected albums. Which means external (additional) publishing directly from Lightroom is becoming more and more important, including increasingly time consuming safety measures (authentication procedures.

As I read the plugin's documentation LRVOYAGER does not help, since it it about published (-ED) pictures, whereas I only want to avoid the tedious process of setting up a publish service that is already working in one catalog, when making/using another catalog. I fail to see why the fact that they are stored in (the first) catalog file should in itself be reason why they cannot be copied.

For now Cletus' solution seems the only "workaround";):(

While there is not a way to do this built into Lightroom there is a plugin that will do this, lrvoyager from alloyphoto.com.

As Cletus says it still is advisable to generally keep a one catalog workflow as that is the easiest way to work. But if you really need to move your published services then this is the tool.

Read the documentation and proceed cautiously after a full backup.

-louie
Louie and everyone else,

The Windows version of this plug-in was flagged by my security software as having a virus. I left a comment about that on the web page.

Phil Burton

"In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,

In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."

One Catalog to rule them all, One Catalog to find them. You can not search across catalogs. Keywords in one catalog do not show up in other catalogs nor do Develop presets or other presets for that matter. Unless you have some Business full that requires separation of client data, there is no purpose for multiple master catalogs.

If you only work with one catalog AND never access your original image files outside of that DAM tool called Lightroom, you will never have missing images do to user mistakes. While you can misplace image in a Windows environment, this is due to the Designated Drive letter designed into the Windows Operating system. There are well documented procedures to prevent this design weakness in the Windows OS.

Thanks again for replying. On the one catalog issue we can of course easily agree to disagree.
As for the "well documented procedures", please show me the one that actually keeps working, as I found that either Windows (silent) updates tend to cause new problems, or those of proprietary NAS software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back