• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! New cameras (including the Canon R5/R6), lens profiles and bug fixes, and the ability to disable built-in lens corrections for specific new cameras. Here's the usual list

Converting to DNG/lossy DNG in my use case

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
Operating System
macOS 10.15 Catalina
Between 2003-2012, I shot with cameras that only saved as jpg, and I had not started to use Lightroom. Editing was done in Photoshop Elements, with the files saved in psd format to preserve layers. When I started with LR, I converted all of the psd files to tiff in Photoshop, and imported into Lightroom. My thought at the time was that I could go back and edit in LR from the original file (if I ever could find the time to do so), with my current skills.

I now realize that my thinking back when I started with LR wasn't correct. If I wanted to go back and edit the original of the psd-->tiff, I'd have to open in Photoshop, unselect all except the base layer, and save, and then import into LR. It would be easier and better to go back and import the untouched original jpg versions, which I have archived.

So, I'm thinking I have absolutely no need to preserve the layers of these tiff files, so I was thinking of converting them to DNG or lossy DNG. Converting to DNG would save about 25% of the space taken up by the tiff files, and converting to lossy DNG would save between 80%-90%.

I understand that something is lost when converting to lossy dngs, but from my reading, that loss is small. And, since my originals were jpgs, I never had the enhanced dynamic range and bit depth of a raw original, so I'm thinking that I really don't lose anything important by converting to lossy dngs rather than (unlossy?) dngs.

Am I thinking clearly here, or am I missing something?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
The JPEG "original". Is a lossy format. Opening the original JPEG in any editor is where the data loss is realized. If you saved that edited image as a lossless PSD/TIFF, then not further data loss occurred. If you have those original JPEGs ,then converting any derivative to a lossy DNG won't really buy you anything. I would leave the PSD/TIFF files alone and consider them a derivative (edited version) of the original JPEG. Import the original JPEG and use that as your master image