• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Converted-JPG DNG's and Fast Load Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggy

Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi all,

I can't seem to come up with the right search terms to find this out via Google, so I'm asking here..

I've converted all my old JPG's to DNG for the file verification part (had a corrupted jpg that propagated through many of my backups - fortunately I was able to recover it via a really ancient backup ;) ).

What I'm wondering is - that for these converted JPG's - what, if anything, does having embedded Fast Load data do for these files?

I know it IS possible to add the Fast Load data to converted JPG's, due to looking at the DNG metadata setting in Library - after either re-doing the 'convert to DNG' again, or doing an 'update DNG previews and metadata'. But I'm having a hard time telling if anything is faster yet.

Does anyone know for sure? Or knows what happens regarding FLD when a DNG has linear data?

EDIT: I'm almost wondering if I should just include the FLD anyways, since I no longer shoot in JPG - and future raw's I'll likely always be including it no matter what given that I don't take a lot of pictures these days, so storage space is less of a concern. But it would still be nice to know what happens.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
No harm in including it. I don't think it'll benefit you for a JPEG DNG though, as the main aim of FLD is to help Develop loading speed by doing the early stage processing, and that's not needed for JPEGs.

Hoggy

Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Yeah -- I ended up adding it to all the converted JPG's.. There seems to be more bogging down since LR 5.6, then 5.7 so I figured why not if it could help in any minute way.

At this point it's more of a curiosity when the data is linear, like with converted-JPG as well as lossy-raw-dng. It would be nice to know if it would help whatsoever in either or both of those cases. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.