• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Conversion to Negative in LR??

Status
Not open for further replies.

herb

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Operating System:
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Is it possible to invert an image in LR?
I do that all the time in PS6, could not find a spot for it in LR.
I make digital negs for alt processing.

Make the Tone Curve go the other way.
2017-10-26 12_05_18-5-2-2 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.png

Operating System:
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Is it possible to invert an image in LR?
I do that all the time in PS6, could not find a spot for it in LR.
I make digital negs for alt processing.

Laura Shoe shows you how to make a preset here: Update: Inverting Your Images

Tip: If you are inverting color negatives, I've found it a little easier to color balance when I shoot them using a blue filter, such as an 80a or 80b.

We had one click methods before - eg via a preset. The old problem remains of then needing to drag any adjustments in negative directions too.

Laura Shoe shows you how to make a preset here: Update: Inverting Your Images

Tip: If you are inverting color negatives, I've found it a little easier to color balance when I shoot them using a blue filter, such as an 80a or 80b.
Patrick,

The book link in your signature block does not work.

Laura Shoe only covers B&W and is about 5 years old anyway.

The one-click method above takes a lot of PS work. Does anyone have a preset already made for basic color negative inversion in LR? At least if it got it where the colors were visible as normal, it would be a big help. It is difficult to look at a negative and see if the image is worth working on further.

Laura Shoe only covers B&W and is about 5 years old anyway.

The one-click method above takes a lot of PS work. Does anyone have a preset already made for basic color negative inversion in LR? At least if it got it where the colors were visible as normal, it would be a big help. It is difficult to look at a negative and see if the image is worth working on further.

Peter Krogh has some excellent negative inversion presets available for download with his "Digitizing Your Photos" book.

The one-click profile method is unfortunately specific to your own scanning process, primarily the light source for illuminating the negatives, so the profiles don't share well. But the Photoshop work is basically a one-time requirement for each film stock once you have your scanning process nailed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back