• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Lightroom Classic 8.0 and Lightroom CC 2.0 (desktop) and Lightroom CC 4.0 (mobile) have just gone live. My books are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro, you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    The book is based on the cloud-native Lightroom CC desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in Lightroom Classic/6.

Conversion to Negative in LR??

herb

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Operating System:
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Is it possible to invert an image in LR?
I do that all the time in PS6, could not find a spot for it in LR.
I make digital negs for alt processing.

Hal P Anderson

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Make the Tone Curve go the other way.
2017-10-26 12_05_18-5-2-2 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.png

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System:
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Is it possible to invert an image in LR?
I do that all the time in PS6, could not find a spot for it in LR.
I make digital negs for alt processing.
Laura Shoe shows you how to make a preset here: Update: Inverting Your Images

Tip: If you are inverting color negatives, I've found it a little easier to color balance when I shoot them using a blue filter, such as an 80a or 80b.

johnbeardy

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
We had one click methods before - eg via a preset. The old problem remains of then needing to drag any adjustments in negative directions too.

PhilBurton

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Laura Shoe shows you how to make a preset here: Update: Inverting Your Images

Tip: If you are inverting color negatives, I've found it a little easier to color balance when I shoot them using a blue filter, such as an 80a or 80b.
Patrick,

The book link in your signature block does not work.

Clifster

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Laura Shoe only covers B&W and is about 5 years old anyway.

The one-click method above takes a lot of PS work. Does anyone have a preset already made for basic color negative inversion in LR? At least if it got it where the colors were visible as normal, it would be a big help. It is difficult to look at a negative and see if the image is worth working on further.

jnstovall

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Laura Shoe only covers B&W and is about 5 years old anyway.

The one-click method above takes a lot of PS work. Does anyone have a preset already made for basic color negative inversion in LR? At least if it got it where the colors were visible as normal, it would be a big help. It is difficult to look at a negative and see if the image is worth working on further.
Peter Krogh has some excellent negative inversion presets available for download with his "Digitizing Your Photos" book.

The one-click profile method is unfortunately specific to your own scanning process, primarily the light source for illuminating the negatives, so the profiles don't share well. But the Photoshop work is basically a one-time requirement for each film stock once you have your scanning process nailed down.