• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Sholder

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 8.4.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Is there a way to control photos that are synced with Lightroom Mobile on the iPhone to my computer? For example, I'd like to ONLY sync photos that I "take" with the Lightroom app, NOT any photos I take with the built in camera app, screenshots etc. Gets a lot of clutter for stuff I don't really want in Lightroom.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

In the iPhone Lightroom app, Settings>Import options, uncheck the things that you do NOT want auto-added, e.g. Photos, Videos, Screenshots.

Thanks, Jim, I'll check that out. One related question, does the iPhone Lightroom app still require access to my photos as well? It appears that it uses it's own internal storage for lack of a better term.

Thanks again,
Kevin

If you mean access to any photos in the phone's Camera Roll that you've already imported/added to the LR app, then the answer would be no. Obviously access to the Camera Roll would still be needed for any subsequent photso you may wish to add to LR. You are correct that any imports from the Camera Roll are copied into Lightroom's own internal space, so once you are happy that they have been synced up to the cloud from the LR app it would be safe to delete them from the Camera Roll, if required.

So access to the camera roll is required if you intend to use the "Lightroom Camera app" to shoot pictures, is this correct? It seems to be the case as I'm setting up my new phone and didn't want all the crap I had before in my Lightroom catalog.

So access to the camera roll is required if you intend to use the "Lightroom Camera app" to shoot pictures, is this correct?
No, that's not what I said. If you take pictures using the native iOS camera, those images are written to the Camera Roll. If you then want to import those images into Lightroom then obviously it needs access to the Camera Roll to do that. However, images taken with the LR camera are NOT written to the Camera Roll, they are saved directly into the LR app space, so in that situation access to the Camera Roll is not required.

That Import setting I mentioned earlier only relates to images/videos taken with the native phone camera, there is no such option relating to images taken with the LR camera....those are automatically saved within Lightroom. So turn off that Import option to prevent "all that crap" from the phone camera getting into Lightroom.

Jim, I'm sorry if you misunderstood my question. I'm finding that the Lightroom app is requiring me to allow access to the camera roll in order to take a photo using the Lightroom app. I was just trying to confirm that behavior.

Thanks for your help,
Kevin

It requires you to grant access to use the camera, I don't remember it asking to access the camera roll. Maybe it did, but either way it really isn't an issue, it doesn't mean that Lightroom will then start importing all the stuff that already exists in the camera roll (provided you have the settings set as I described).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back