• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again and there's some big feature improvements as well as new lenses and bug fixes! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Confusing appearance of External Drive in Folder based LR v11.3 catalog

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic version 11.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi all,

I have a client who has somehow managed to create a LRC catalog v-11 that shows her External drive (where images files exist) as a ‘volume’ of her Macintosh HD. It also lists her Year folders under a '/' location of her Mac HD. In the screen captures below, you'll be able to see how mixed up it has become. In SS_2 note that the JMac1 is actually a separate External drive, but it shows as a 'Volume' of her Mac HD.

We found some help on the Adobe help website at the following link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/volumes-drives-display-folders-lightoom.html

The ‘solution’ described at the url above (hiding parent folder, etc) didn’t work exactly as described there for us. However, we have managed to copy files to the actual JMac1 outside of Lightroom, and relink it all to the External drive, and eliminate most of the Duplicates.

Note that I work via Zoom with this client, and once I come up with some steps she can follow, I leave her on her own until we meet again. We are in different cities.

My current plan of attack is to create a New Catalog. Before Importing anything to it, we are Saving Metadata to Files. So far, we have Imported two or three folders to the new Catalog. Everything appears as expected. The Folders are part of the JMac1 External drive, they have no connection to the Mac HD.

I appreciate any thoughts or comments you might have.

Thank you!

Gail

Attachments

• SS_2_.jpg
    SS_2_.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 6
  • SS_1_.jpg
    SS_1_.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 6
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
The EHD is a mounted volume mounted in a sub folder of the root folder (/). This probably happened when the use requested Lightroom Classic to show the parent folder

You could try to “Hide the parent Folder” on the Volume to see if that does not solve the problem (which really is not a problem).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk