• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Confused About Time Lag to Display Loupe 100%

Lightroom Version
Classic version 10.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
When displaying pictures in the Library module Loupe view, there is always a noticeable (2-3 sec) time lag to display a picture in full detail. E.g., at 100% magnification, either by zooming in from "Fit", or when displaying next picture while at 100% magnification, the picture is initially fuzzy and refreshes to sharp detail in about 3 seconds.

Is this normal? It really affects workflow to see this delay for each picture.

I've read up on this, and I thought I'm doing everything right, i.e.,
  • LR catalog and previews are on C: SSD (RAW image files themselves are on HDD)
  • When I import images, I have "Build Previews" set to 1:1.
What's going on and what can I check or do to speed things up? Thanks for any suggestions.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
so this is weird, I am on LRC 9.2.1 and a Mac, but was having this same issue the other week. seems to have gone away though. I did not make any changes. I have all images and catalogue on internal SSD. just fyi. are you still having the issue?

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Normally, displaying at 100% should be near instantaneous if 1:1 previews are already built. Some more troubleshooting steps:

1. Verify that 1:1 previews are actually built: Select some suspect photos and do Library > Previews > Build 1:1 Previews. Does it say they are already built?

2. If so, you could try rebuilding previews -- infrequently the preview database seems to get "sluggish". Exit LR, and in your catalog folder, delete "<catalog name> Previews.lrdata" (careful, don't delete the .lrcat file!). Then restart LR, select all the photos in All Photographs, and do Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews. Go to bed and come back the next morning.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Another thing to be aware of.....when you start editing images, after you import and build 1:1 previews, the existing Library preview (which includes the 1:1 element) is removed by LrC (because your edits make it obsolete). A new standard preview will be automatically created when the edited image appears anywhere on screen (Loupe, Grid, Filmstrip) in the Library module, but a new 1:1 preview is not built until either you manually build them, or you zoom into 1:1 again (and the subsequent "Loading" delay is when that new 1:1 preview is being created).

Wow, I learned from these replies. I wanted to know how to check what previews are currently available, and the "Build 1:1 Previews" is a trick I wouldn't have thought of. It may very well be that the delay that's frustrating me is resulting from changes I made in the Develop module. I'll watch it more closely now that I understand. Thanks everyone for the comments.