confused about tagged phtos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwarf4ever

Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have made a collection of various photos for a phyical photo album, have been going through tagging for deletion by using X. then after a while I select all phos marked fro deletion and remove them from the collection, that works fine, but just looked at some of my Folders and several photos are Ghosted, as if marked for deletion, cant see why this is, i dont want to delete photos from my folders, how do i clear this

thanks

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
let's go back to basics. One of the organization tools in Lrc are flags. The flag on any image can have one of three values. U=Unflagged, P=Picked or Choosen, and X=Rejected. Setting a flag in and of itself does not delete or remove anything. It's just a value in a field - no different than setting some number of stars in the rating field.

However, the Reject ("X") flag has a special feature. There is a menu command that will delete all "Rejected" images (i.e. those with a flag of "X"). Of course you can do the same things by setting a filter to show only images that have an "X" flag and then select them all and remove/delete them.

So, when you set the "X" flag on a bunch of images in your collection it set that flag on the image itself in the catalog which by definition shows up in all the collections which contain those images as well as in the folder containg the image. You then selected those Rejected images in one collection and "removed" them which only removed them from that one collection - not from other collections, not from the folder containing the image and not from the Catalog. This "removal' does not change the value of the flag. So, when you went back and looked at those images in a different collection or in a Folder it still has the "X" flag.

If you want to clear the "X" flag from the image in the folder - which will also remove the "X" flag from any collections that image may be in - Select the image (or a whole bunch of images) from either the Folder or any Collection and click "U" on the keyboard to set the flag to "Unflagged".

Reddwarf4ever

Thinking about this a little more, IMO I can’t see the benefit in leaving photos in various collections and the folders, tagged for deletion, once the ones initially selected have been actioned, I removed the tagged photos for deletion from the collection, so that’s the task complete, why would I need the same photos in various collections and folders to remain tagged ? Thought it would be best to deselect them automatically, once the primary action was complete.

thanks

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
These are just tools. How you use them is up to you.

If you just want to remove an image from a collection, just hit the backslash key (\) while the deisred image or images are selected while viewing them using the collection.

If you want to entirely remove an image from LR meaning from the folder as well as all the collections it is in, then veiw it from the folder and hit the backslash key at which point you'll have the choice of just removing it from that catalog or removing it from the catalog as well as deleting it from the disk drive.

If you'd just like to mark images for removal/deletion from the catalog or catalog and disk drive at a later time, then set the Reject flag. Then come back later, find those with the Reject flag and remove/delete them (or use the "Delete all Rejected images" command from the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.