• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Confused about People Tagging

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliemo418

Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic Subscription plan
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello!
I am new to Lightroom and have just started to import my pictures in. I am confused about how the People tagging function works particularly as it related to group shots. As an example, lets say I have a picture of Person A, B and C. Sometimes LR only asks for the name of 1 person i.e. ONE grey box (misses the other 2?) and other times it doesn't. Question: Is (of what is) the best practice to ensure that you have identified the names of ALL the folks you wanted identified in any pic with more than 1 person? Should you ensure you "draw" around each face? How would then the stacking work? Example, let's say I tag Person A, B and C - will therefore a stack be created for pics where ALL 3 are present OR will each person have THEIR stack? In addition, let's say I wanted to only look up pictures of person A - would it also pull up ANY pics where A is present? Hopefully I explained my confusion properly. Thanks in advance :)

I am not sure I understand the part about stacking, but the short answer is that LR frequently misses people (it sometimes, but in my experience less frequently, finds "people" who are things, though if you have statuary in your shots it loves those).

if it misses people you need to either draw them in, or accept they will be missing.

If it's shots I want thoroughly tagged, I find I must go through them one by one in people mode and by eye tell if every face has a box. This becomes quite difficult in group shots where people are very close together, the boxes overlap pretty badly at times.

Once tagged you can find photos of any individual. If you have a shot with A, B and C in it, then searching for any one of them finds that (single) image.

I am not sure I understand the part about stacking, but the short answer is that LR frequently misses people (it sometimes, but in my experience less frequently, finds "people" who are things, though if you have statuary in your shots it loves those).

if it misses people you need to either draw them in, or accept they will be missing.

If it's shots I want thoroughly tagged, I find I must go through them one by one in people mode and by eye tell if every face has a box. This becomes quite difficult in group shots where people are very close together, the boxes overlap pretty badly at times.

Once tagged you can find photos of any individual. If you have a shot with A, B and C in it, then searching for any one of them finds that (single) image.
Thank you ! By stacking I mean that LR groups photos of the same person and I was wondering if person A appeared both individually and in group pictures would the "stacking" include both individual and group shots where this person is captured. It seems to be both which is confusing.

LrC only shows a single "stack" (or "cluster") for each tagged person. The stack therefore represents all the images in which that person has been tagged, no matter if other faces have also been tagged in some of those images. Once you understand that, it becomes less confusing even if you would prefer a different behaviour. You could always make a feature request to Adobe to change that behaviour if you would prefer that it works differently....see the link at the top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back