• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Confirming: Recent Lightroom mobile change prohibits "shooting into" a "Album" (Collection)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
ios
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
In previous versions like mobile, I was able to shoot directly into an album (which should be called a collection) but can you confirm they've eliminated that feature, and now I must select a photo and copy it into a collection? I liked the old way better, and it really screwed up my workflow and what I teach to my students.

Thanks,

Reid

It depends which camera you use. If you use the native camera app, there's been no change, i.e. if "Auto Add Photos" is enabled, LRCC will import any new photo taken with the native camera app. Furthermore, if any existing album in LRCC has been designated as the "Auto Import" album, any new photos added to LRCC from the camera roll will be added to that designated album. If no album is designated, the new photos will only show in All Photos.

If you use the LRCC camera however, there has been a change. Previously, any photo captured with the LRCC camera would be added to whichever album (if any) was open at the time (which always struck me as wrong). If no album was open, the new captures appeared in All Photos only. The change that was made now stops new captures being added to any open album, and simply adds them to All Photos, and also to a new top level special album for "Lr Camera Photos". I would rather that Adobe had gone the whole way and allowed the new captures to also be added to the designated "Auto Import" album.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to shoot with the native camera app, since it doesn't shoot in the raw format.

The way they changed it is kind of a pain, as now it requires an extra step to assign a photo to a particular collection, rather than just being able to "shoot into" a collection.

I used to have a collection called Lightroom camera pics and would shoot all my photos into it, but then filter to show only the flag photos. After I shot, then I would go into the all photos and flagged a photo then it would appear under that collection.

And we also don't have smart collections, where I could create a collection of everything that's a flagged photo.

The only workaround I been able to figure out is to filter the All Photos with flags, and rate photos by looking at Recently Added. I think the old way made more sense, as it's confusing to have the camera icon for shooting in each collection, even though the photo won't automatically wind up there.

I'm open to suggestions, and other workarounds especially since I want to teach my students easy ways to manage their images.

Thanks,

Reid

I've been using the LR Camera Photos album to find the ones I want to move into an album.
Me too, the only problem being that the Camera Photos album is local to the device, so using that album to organise into other albums means the work is restricted to only that device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back