• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The February 2018 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Enhance Detail. Lightroom CC has lots of big improvements on the desktop, including HDR Merge, Panorama Merge, Targeted Adjustment Tool and more. The Lightroom Queen eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you using Lightroom CC on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV or in a web browser? Are you syncing your photos to the cloud? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro! It shows you how to use the full Lightroom CC ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also learn the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily.

Confirming: Recent Lightroom mobile change prohibits "shooting into" a "Album" (Collection)

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Lightroom Version
ios
Operating System
Windows 10
In previous versions like mobile, I was able to shoot directly into an album (which should be called a collection) but can you confirm they've eliminated that feature, and now I must select a photo and copy it into a collection? I liked the old way better, and it really screwed up my workflow and what I teach to my students.

Thanks,

Reid

Jim Wilde

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
It depends which camera you use. If you use the native camera app, there's been no change, i.e. if "Auto Add Photos" is enabled, LRCC will import any new photo taken with the native camera app. Furthermore, if any existing album in LRCC has been designated as the "Auto Import" album, any new photos added to LRCC from the camera roll will be added to that designated album. If no album is designated, the new photos will only show in All Photos.

If you use the LRCC camera however, there has been a change. Previously, any photo captured with the LRCC camera would be added to whichever album (if any) was open at the time (which always struck me as wrong). If no album was open, the new captures appeared in All Photos only. The change that was made now stops new captures being added to any open album, and simply adds them to All Photos, and also to a new top level special album for "Lr Camera Photos". I would rather that Adobe had gone the whole way and allowed the new captures to also be added to the designated "Auto Import" album.

Last edited:

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
I wouldn't want to shoot with the native camera app, since it doesn't shoot in the raw format.

The way they changed it is kind of a pain, as now it requires an extra step to assign a photo to a particular collection, rather than just being able to "shoot into" a collection.

I used to have a collection called Lightroom camera pics and would shoot all my photos into it, but then filter to show only the flag photos. After I shot, then I would go into the all photos and flagged a photo then it would appear under that collection.

And we also don't have smart collections, where I could create a collection of everything that's a flagged photo.

The only workaround I been able to figure out is to filter the All Photos with flags, and rate photos by looking at Recently Added. I think the old way made more sense, as it's confusing to have the camera icon for shooting in each collection, even though the photo won't automatically wind up there.

I'm open to suggestions, and other workarounds especially since I want to teach my students easy ways to manage their images.

Thanks,

Reid

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud

Jim Wilde

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
I've been using the LR Camera Photos album to find the ones I want to move into an album.
Me too, the only problem being that the Camera Photos album is local to the device, so using that album to organise into other albums means the work is restricted to only that device.