Computer Freezes on export

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipan00

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hey Guys not sure this is the right place but after searching and coming up empty I thought I would try here. I just got a new computer. Well used but new to me and the person before me was running AutoCad on it no issues. Photoshop runs fine on here and lightroom almost works great. I can export anywhere from 1-5 images and no issues, but when I go to export 5 or more images my entire computer just freezes up and I have to do a hard restart. My CPU hits 100% on export when freezing and ram hovers around 5-6. Any suggestions on what this problem could be? Below are my computer specs.

AMD 9590 8 core 5ghz
32 gb Patriot Viper ram
Windows 7 64 bit
Powercolor 2 gb video card

Not sure what else you need to know.

I have uninstalled and re-installed and that did not work either and have also deleted the export file setting which did not help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I wonder if the CPU is overheating (though normally in that situation the motherboard sensors will shut the system down completely)....Export is one of the main CPU-intensive tasks, as you've discovered, so if the cooling system isn't quite fully working then over-heating problems are a fairly common result.

Easiest thing to do would be to run a CPU temperature monitor (plenty of free ones available to download), start it running just before starting an Export of more than 5 images and take note of the temperature at the point that the system freezes.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I wonder if the CPU is overheating (though normally in that situation the motherboard sensors will shut the system down completely)....Export is one of the main CPU-intensive tasks, as you've discovered, so if the cooling system isn't quite fully working then over-heating problems are a fairly common result.

Easiest thing to do would be to run a CPU temperature monitor (plenty of free ones available to download), start it running just before starting an Export of more than 5 images and take note of the temperature at the point that the system freezes.

Hey Jim thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded a CPU monitor and it looks like my computer at idle is bouncing from 38-49 c and it shows max 57.4. Im guessing as you stated its probably over heating. I am running a antec liquid cooling system but not sure why it would be running almost maxed out with no programs running. Is it normal for a computer to run this hot even with no programs open?

My Windows desktop also has a liquid cooler, and this time of the year I'd say at idle the CPU temp would be in the high 30's, but would remain there.

What happens when you try the Export?

BTW, my cooler failed once (i.e. CPU overheated and the system was shut down), I discovered the radiator fan (on the inside of the case) was pretty clogged with dust. Cleaned that out and all was good again. Now I know to give it a clean every now and then....

Some other things to consider. Windows could have run out of file handles . This could happen if you are running lots of other apps alongside LR. The export process make use of a lot of intermediate temporary files. Sufficient Working storage is critical. How much free space is on your drive that hosts working storage (usually C:\)

Jim when I export it begins to export and gets through exporting a few files then the whole computer freezes.

Clee the only program I am running is Lightroom nothing else and it still freezes. I have a 1tb HD with 832 gb open.

Clee the only program I am running is Lightroom nothing else and it still freezes.
Open Task Manager and look at the list of tasks (programs) that are running. Could you disable your virus scanner (another Program running while LR runs) and run an export to see if the virus Scanner is interfering with the export?

Jim when I export it begins to export and gets through exporting a few files then the whole computer freezes.

Yes, but what was the CPU temp at the time of the freeze?

Windows events. Logs anything on them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back