• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Computer bonk, reinstalled LR 6 (CD), what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosephN

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I have LR 6 on my laptop and desktop. My laptop bonked and only way to save was to wipe it and start fresh. However, my data was saved. I had to re-install LR 6 on my laptop. Now what? I believe my edits/catalogs were saved on my hard drive on my laptop but now how do I import photos and link them to the prior edits/catalogs? My entire laptop to desktop workflow is another issue but I jut want to see if I can get a least my last couple months worth of work back. It is not saved on my desktop either.

Thanks.

If your catalog was saved don't try reimporting. Open the catalog and relink the pictures if necessary.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

When you reimport do you mean catalog or pictures? I think you mean catalogs. If so then are you saying that I should import photos into LR but then try to link them to the catalogs? I need to somehow populate the newly installed LR with pictures first, right?

I need to somehow populate the newly installed LR with pictures first, right?
No. Lightroom doesn't contain photos. Your catalogue doesn't contain photos, either, but it knows where to find them. You need to find your old catalogue file and to open it with Lightroom. The file will end in the extension '.lrcat'. (That's .LRCAT--a lot of people think the first letter is an eye, but it's an ell.) You can search for files that end in that extension. When you find one, double-click on it. That will open Lightroom with that catalogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back