• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

Develop module Compatibility With Old ACR Files

JohnP

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic v8.2
Operating System
Windows 7
I am currently re-working some images that were created several years ago in what was then the latest version of ACR. When I open them now, the LR Develop module shows sliders for Exposure, Recovery, Fill Light, Blacks, etc. I'd really like to start from the basic RAW file using the current LR sliders.
How do I get back to that point, please? In Windows Explorer I've tried deleting the XMP file that accompanies the file, but to no effect.
Thank you
John

Hal P Anderson

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8

JohnP

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Thank you! Works Perfectly. John

Dan Marchant

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Just FYI an explanation.
As LR evolved the Develop Process Engine changed. Because the new sliders/tools don't directly mirror the old ones swapping an edited image from the old engine to the new one may alter the edit. Adobe figured that people would want to be able to choose to keep old images as is so your current LR actually contains version of all the old process engines. (as seen in the drop down menu posted by Hal).

Obviously you can choose to just switch old images to the new process and make adjustments as needed. An alternative is to keep your original edit and create a Virtual Copy, then switch that to the new process and make further adjustments - just in case you ever want the original as a reference.

JohnP

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Thank you. That explanation is much appreciated and I'm pleased to be able to understand Hal's solution.