• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Comparing Features Between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
PhotographyLife has done a fair and unbiased look at the two new LR products. There is a nice table that does a good job of summarizing the two versions and I recommend that you read the article for a better understanding of the two products.
Lightroom Classic vs Lightroom CC

The table is very illuminating. A lot of people have focused on specific issues like printing, but there are some more fundamental aspects that this helps flush out. Lack of plugin support is a great one -- one reason Classic is so powerful is 3rd party contributions, and I think it will be very interesting to see how much Adobe opens the door to 3rd parties to access the Cloud and add value. Also, at least today, the inability to export images in a more editable format (e.g. 16 bit TIFF) is a real limitation, and one I had not noticed (of course you could still bring Classic into the mixture, download all to there, and export from Classic; the same workaround is available for many of these shortcomings, albeit "workaround" is certainly the operative word).

An interesting discussion point is the question "Can you store the originals locally?". They say yes, you can store the originals locally (and have a backup of them in the cloud). Adobe would probably say that the originals are in the cloud, and you can save a backup of them locally. ;)

I think it will be very interesting to see how much Adobe opens the door to 3rd parties to access the Cloud and add value.
I believe Victoria has reported that there is a, not yet public, API that one third party is accessing. This seems to me to be the way to add the necessary functionality to LRCC.

I believe Victoria has reported that there is a, not yet public, API that one third party is accessing. This seems to me to be the way to add the necessary functionality to LRCC.

Yeah, that seems like the most logical way to go. Loads of functionality without loads of overhead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We already have our own far more comprehensive comparison list: Lightroom CC vs. Lightroom Classic - Which Do I Need? | The Lightroom Queen
I see Victoria's table now. Unfortunately, the Decision Tree was a bit much to wade through and I only gave the table a quick glance.
Note if you will that I did reference it as fair and unbiased. Unfortunately, I see Victoria, whose livelyhood is dependent upon Adobe's success with Lightroom, as not an unbiased disinterested party.

Unfortunately, I see Victoria, whose livelyhood is dependent upon Adobe's success with Lightroom, as not an unbiased disinterested party.

I'm surprised at that, shocked even. Sure, if she was comparing Lightroom with On1 or Capture One or whatever, it would be more difficult....but comparing one Adobe product, Lightroom (which she knows more about than anyone I know, present company included) with a new Adobe product to which she has probably been exposed more than most non-Adobe employees, how on earth does that make her unbiased? On the contrary, I would say she is eminently better qualified to give an unbiased opinion than anyone who might only been using the new tools for less than a week.

I see Victoria's table now. Unfortunately, the Decision Tree was a bit much to wade through and I only gave the table a quick glance.
Note if you will that I did reference it as fair and unbiased. Unfortunately, I see Victoria, whose livelyhood is dependent upon Adobe's success with Lightroom, as not an unbiased disinterested party.

Could you perhaps point out something in that post that could be considered biased? It’s a comparison chart of features between 2 Adobe products, so as far as I know, it’s just down to facts.

Yes, my livelihood is based on supporting Lightroom users. That’s never been hidden. However I’d hope you, of all people, would know me well enough by now to know that I’ll point out Adobe’s flaws as often as I point out the benefits. Someone who was just trotting out the party line would not have warned users not to jump into upgrading, but perhaps you skipped past that part too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Without making any allegations.... Some of the No entries against "Classic" could be construed as negative - when that feature would simply make no sense to it. Storing originals, for example. NA rather than No? You might also add some information about which features require the user to be online - Access Originals, and Search.

John

@Victoria Bampton
I have to admit, this roll out and the associated changes have put people like you on the firing line more than I have ever seen with any product. I am a private pilot, and pilots as a general rule are Type A personalities. So even when companies like Navworx screwed up, the community advocates did not get as lambasted as you have been trying to defend something that is myself and many others seem to view as fundamentally un-defensible.

I wish you all the best, and hope everything works out ok. In the meantime, this roll out actually has caused me to rethink some aspects of photography.
Starting with, do I really need a DAM? I am starting to realize I spend significant time putting in all sorts of meta-data, that I have never used. I also went with a complex workflow to put in all the meta-data I never use...
Oh well. I guess it is was a needed wake up call.

Tim

Without making any allegations.... Some of the No entries against "Classic" could be construed as negative - when that feature would simply make no sense to it. Storing originals, for example. NA rather than No? You might also add some information about which features require the user to be online - Access Originals, and Search.

John
Great, let me know if you find any others. I was aiming to keep things fairly binary on both sides. I’ll update those in the morning. Always happy to receive constructive feedback.

John
I’m looking ... which storing originals line John?

"Originals downloaded on demand" - no, you don't need to. "Originals automatically downloaded" switches the Yes and No between columns.

@Victoria Bampton
trying to defend something that is myself and many others seem to view as fundamentally un-defensible.

I wouldn’t have made some of the decisions that have been made. However, in the interest of Lightroom users, the best I can do is try to do is report the changes and attempt to cut through some of the confusion, so people can make an informed logical decision, rather than make an emotional decision based on FUD. The aim of my blog posts has been to do exactly that, and slow down the emotional reaction. I’m not perfect, so I don’t do that perfectly, but I try to see things from both sides. Mainly from the photographers point of view, because I’ve been that side of the fence a lot longer. I fight the side of users behind the scenes, but when the decisions are made, the best I can do is explain the changes that have been made. I don’t gain anything out of all this. Adobe will continue making money, and I will continue teaching photographers, whether about Adobe software or something else. It would be easy just to go to ground until this all blows over, but the time and effort I put into helping users is about helping users. I’m working 18 hour days to help confused worried people the best I can. Even if my books were finished, I wouldn’t be pushing them right now. That wouldn’t be fair. People need to understand the options and make the right decisions for them.

"Originals downloaded on demand" - no, you don't need to. "Originals automatically downloaded" switches the Yes and No between columns.

Fixed originals downloaded on demand! Thank you John! I’m too sleep deprived to risk messing anything else up tonight!!

I’m being blind....where are you seeing originals automatically downloaded?

Cletus,

While I see your point, Victoria also has to maintain the "integrity" of this forum as independent of Adobe and serving its users' interests. I trust Victoria more than say Julienne Kost or Laura Shoe or Viktor at PhotoTraces.

I will continue teaching photographers, whether about Adobe software or something else.

Well, if Adobe drives us away, I hope we pick the same software. You have been very good and gracious with your knowledge.

Tim

I don't get all the sturm und drang, but perhaps I should start worrying if Ms. Brampton changes her moniker to "the Lightroom CC Queen." :rolleyes:

And biased? I'm not worried. I've never seen anything here (or indeed on most other sites where people make money with Lr education and such) that indicates she'd pull punches. Indeed, some users fall prey to fanboyism more often than the people who make a living, in whole or part, on Adobe products. Keep up the good work.

Cletus,

While I see your point, Victoria also has to maintain the "integrity" of this forum as independent of Adobe and serving its users' interests. I trust Victoria more than say Julienne Kost or Laura Shoe or Viktor at PhotoTraces.

Phil, for the record, Laura is a non-Adobe independent in the same way as Victoria. Personally, I trust the integrity of both of them.

I don't get all the sturm und drang, but perhaps I should start worrying if Ms. Brampton changes her moniker to "the Lightroom CC Queen."

Not the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC [pause for breath] Queen?

I’m being blind....where are you seeing originals automatically downloaded?

Sorry, I was unclear. I meant you might add another line. Of course, one could go on forever inserting extra lines, but my thought is that this is an important quality of "Classic" and shows how the two apps might work together.

LOL thanks for the support guys. It means a lot.

John, gotcha, will do, thanks.

Well, if Adobe drives us away, I hope we pick the same software. You have been very good and gracious with your knowledge.
Let me know where you end up Tim!

Phil, for the record, Laura is a non-Adobe independent in the same way as Victoria. Personally, I trust the integrity of both of them.

And I also.

Both have made a fabulous contribution to the Lightroom Community. The fact that Adobe have created confusing products is neither Laura's or Victoria's fault and both end up in the front line dealing with an Adobe mess. Fair play and well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back