• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Comparing Features Between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
PhotographyLife has done a fair and unbiased look at the two new LR products. There is a nice table that does a good job of summarizing the two versions and I recommend that you read the article for a better understanding of the two products.
Lightroom Classic vs Lightroom CC

Let me know where you end up Tim!
Likely no where quick. I renewed CC almost 2 months ago, so I am stuck paying for 10 months.
I probably will continue researching my choices (I already started), then make a plan, and start executing it next summer.
At this point, I am likely to just go into a defensive mode. Stop learning anything new in Adobe; focus on how to port my digital assets to a new platform and manage them.
One of the things I like the most about Lr is actually one of worst things when looking for a replacement. That is the ability to create a workflow based on smart collections with logical steps. This seems likely the hardest capability to replicate.

Tim

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

@Victoria Bampton
...trying to defend something that is myself and many others seem to view as fundamentally un-defensible.

I deploy a vocabulary of words like "amazing", "surprising", "brave" to describe things I don't like, or phrases like "I can't believe" or "I'm not defending", "they obviously think it's a good idea". It's quite fun.

BTW as recently as 3 years ago I've worked at trade shows directly for Adobe UK. Could easily happen again. Adobe are more relaxed than many companies about criticism, fair or otherwise.

John

Absolutely. The whole idea of this site is to present helpful facts unencumbered as much as possible by the kinds of emotional reactions a lot of members have shown over the last little while. It's a stressful time, but the sky isn't about to fall, and Adobe hasn't shown any real lack of commitment to LR Classic. This new release supplied some non-trivial, long-requested benefits, and it's the most bug-free major release I've ever seen.

People are falling for marketing hype and letting it upset them.This isn't a good way to live. If you are suddenly faced with existential anxiety over what Adobe's marketing department has done, it's your business, and there are lots of things you can do about it, but whinging here or impugning the integrity of other members of the Forum shouldn't be one of them.

Phil, for the record, Laura is a non-Adobe independent in the same way as Victoria. Personally, I trust the integrity of both of them.
Jim,

Thank you for the correction.

Phil

Absolutely. The whole idea of this site is to present helpful facts unencumbered as much as possible by the kinds of emotional reactions a lot of members have shown over the last little while. It's a stressful time, but the sky isn't about to fall, and Adobe hasn't shown any real lack of commitment to LR Classic. This new release supplied some non-trivial, long-requested benefits, and it's the most bug-free major release I've ever seen.

People are falling for marketing hype and letting it upset them.This isn't a good way to live. If you are suddenly faced with existential anxiety over what Adobe's marketing department has done, it's your business, and there are lots of things you can do about it, but whinging here or impugning the integrity of other members of the Forum shouldn't be one of them.
Hal,

Emotional angst, maybe more than necessary, yes. Impugning the integrity of another member of this forum, I haven't seen that and I (and I'm sure others) would bring that to Victoria's attention right away.

Phil

Impugning the integrity of another member of this forum, I haven't seen that and I (and I'm sure others) would bring that to Victoria's attention right away.

Careful, Phil....you might have to report yourself! I assume you didn't realise that Laura Shoe is also a member of this forum, LOL.

impugning the integrity of other members of the Forum shouldn't be one of them.
Can I set the record straight? What seems to have upset some folks is that I said that Victoria's posts were biased by her livelihood being tied to Adobe. I said nothing about her integrity which is above reproach. IMO bias is unavoidable. I have biases, you have biases. We all do as much as we might like to think we are above influence.
The topic here is comparing the different features of Lightroom Classic and LightroomCloud. I would hope that we can return to the topic of this conversation.

Careful, Phil....you might have to report yourself! I assume you didn't realise that Laura Shoe is also a member of this forum, LOL.
Oh. :confused:

Jim,

I was trying to be positive about Victoria.

Can I set the record straight? What seems to have upset some folks is that I said that Victoria's posts were biased by her livelihood being tied to Adobe. I said nothing about her integrity which is above reproach. IMO bias is unavoidable. I have biases, you have biases. We all do as much as we might like to think we are above influence.
The topic here is comparing the different features of Lightroom Classic and LightroomCloud. I would hope that we can return to the topic of this conversation.
I think we all share the bias that a picture isn't done when we press the shutter button. Post-processing is needed. We can all agree on that. After that, we will disagree. My bias is that I am basically an analytical person.

I'm happy that we don't all agree on everything. It's the disagreements that prove illuminating.

Phil

I appreciate all the support guys, thanks. Let's get back to talking about Lightroom, shall we?

I appreciate all the support guys, thanks. Let's get back to talking about Lightroom, shall we?

nah, we should see if we can make you blush :D
Thanks for answering the Windows Explorer question on the Adobe Lr Forum. I will test it when I get home tonight.

Tim

I think we all share the bias that a picture isn't done when we press the shutter button. Post-processing is needed. We can all agree on that.

I'm not entirely sure I can agree with that. :)

I tend to use my cameras, originally film, now digital and often just a phone, as if they were Polaroids. Whatever I want to do I do in the camera but do little if any post processing. My bias is that post processing can be used to hide or mask lack of skills. Someone who can create a wonderful image without any editing is IMO a more skilled photographer than one that can get a great image from lower quality inputs. I aspire to create good images without need for any post processing but have miles to go to get to even serious amateur levels of skill in that arena. Most of the post processing I do is to scale or change resolution to fit certain output media. The front image of our farm web site of the ewes and lambs in pasture was taken in 2012 with a Canon Powershot and is totally un-retouched. It was cropped to fit the format for the front page but that is it. That is what I aspire too, I only rarely get there.

For historical scanning the only processing is done at scan time to try to capture as much of the original information as possible in the digital copy. In fact there is specific guidance for archivists NOT to do any significant editing that changes the image. In the past post processing has been used o edit out historical figures (see Russia for prime examples) and cropping to eliminate critical details that change the meaning of the picture. So I aspire to preserve the historical images as they are in all their glory without editing.

That's also why I am far less concerned about LRs nondestructive editing. I so rarely use it that I can get buy with a very small feature set in that area. The benefit for me of LR is the cataloging features.

I tend to use my cameras, originally film, now digital and often just a phone, as if they were Polaroids.
For a camera to take a JPEG, you need to adjust the settings in the camera BEFORE the image is in the viewfinder. The camera makes post processing adjustments to the RAW data based upon the settings that you chose or the default settings that the camera manufacturer chose. Those settings are the average settings for the average lighting conditions for the average photo. If you want to settle for average photos then you need go no further. If you want above average image photos you get a camera that permits you to control the shooting parameters and develop the "darkroom" skills to produce an above average photo.

Last edited:
For a camera to take a JPEG, you need to adjust the settings in the camera BEFORE the image is in the viewfinder. The camera makes post processing adjustments to the RAW data based upon the settings that you chose to the default settings that the camera manufacturer chose. Those settings are the average settings for the average lighting conditions for the average photo. If you want to settle for average photos then you need go no further. If you want above average image photos you get a camera that permits you to control the shooting parameters and develop the "darkroom" skills to produce an above average photo.
I don't disagree with that. However, I also see excellent pictures from cameras with little or no ability to do much "in camera" adjustment. Some of the success is clearly luck but I believe a lot of the difference is skill. I believe there was a class/expedition with National Geographic photographers that focused entirely on how to get great pictures from a cell phone camera, which however good they are getting, is still rather limited. I know there have been several pros take these simple point and shoot cameras and prove that the skill is not the equipment, it's the operator. Can you often make a picture better with post processing? Absolutely. But I wouldn't say it's a requirement or that no picture is ever done until that post processing has been completed. It all depends on your goals for your photography.

Examples below. You have to see the final print on good paper to really see the difference. This screen grab does not do justice to the final result.

Actual Jpg out of the camera. No adjustments.
upload_2017-10-26_22-0-31.png

After Raw conversion and post.

upload_2017-10-26_22-1-25.png

You can set up your camera in advance to be able to optimise your jpgs for a particular scenario, but in fast changing light at dawn in the semi dark is not the time to be making such adjustments.

I'm not entirely sure I can agree with that. :)

I tend to use my cameras, originally film, now digital and often just a phone, as if they were Polaroids. Whatever I want to do I do in the camera but do little if any post processing. My bias is that post processing can be used to hide or mask lack of skills. Someone who can create a wonderful image without any editing is IMO a more skilled photographer than one that can get a great image from lower quality inputs. I aspire to create good images without need for any post processing but have miles to go to get to even serious amateur levels of skill in that arena. Most of the post processing I do is to scale or change resolution to fit certain output media. The front image of our farm web site of the ewes and lambs in pasture was taken in 2012 with a Canon Powershot and is totally un-retouched. It was cropped to fit the format for the front page but that is it. That is what I aspire too, I only rarely get there.

For historical scanning the only processing is done at scan time to try to capture as much of the original information as possible in the digital copy. In fact there is specific guidance for archivists NOT to do any significant editing that changes the image. In the past post processing has been used o edit out historical figures (see Russia for prime examples) and cropping to eliminate critical details that change the meaning of the picture. So I aspire to preserve the historical images as they are in all their glory without editing.

That's also why I am far less concerned about LRs nondestructive editing. I so rarely use it that I can get buy with a very small feature set in that area. The benefit for me of LR is the cataloging features.

The difference here though, is that when just using these in-camera jpegs - the camera has in fact, literally done the post processing itself. No matter how little or how much control the jpg-only camera allows, it is ALWAYS done regardless.

When shooting raw-only, NO processing has been done after the fact - and therefore all raws look flat.. Because you need to do this [post-]processing yourself. One may or may not do better than the camera's own post-processing, but post processing does NEED to get done either way, lest people like flat photos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back