Not open for further replies.

ralf11

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I set the Lens Correction field Make to Nikon but it does not seem to list the famed & fast 35mm Ai lens on there.

Any ideas?

Yes, I assume it is not supported or it would be in the lens Model field. My question is what else I can do? Or what is easiest to do...

Yes, I assume it is not supported or it would be in the lens Model field. My question is what else I can do? Or what is easiest to do...
A bunch of my older Nikon lenses are not supported, so I'm also wondering what I can do, in light of this posting:

1538184498554.png

What are the chances that Adobe would create a profile for a lens that hasn't been sold for perhaps 30 years, for example my Nikon 500 mm f8 mirror lens, which is a joy to use because it is so light and compact (bought used from eBay). Or my 35 mm f20 lens, pre-AI model.

I had always assumed that some day I would go to the effort to create my own profiles, but now Adobe has precluded that option. Is there any third-party source for the Lens Profile Creator?

Phil,
Although the Downloader is gone, the Creator is still available:
Adobe - Adobe Lens Profile Creator : For Windows : Adobe Lens Profile Creator 1.0.4

So you can still profile those out-of-production Nikon lenses.
Hal,

Thank you for sleuthing out this download. So let me get this straight. The downloader is no longer available, but the actual download still is available. You would think that a company would be more coordinated internally, but my own experience at another tech company was just the opposite. A project got killed, and the group dispersed, but no one bothered to tell the webmaster, so the download was available for years. "Java Wallet," in case anyone remembers. :rolleyes:

Phil,
I'm under the impression that the Downloader and the program that produces the lens profiles are two different things. It looks like Adobe stopped supporting the one, but not the other.

Phil,
I'm under the impression that the Downloader and the program that produces the lens profiles are two different things. It looks like Adobe stopped supporting the one, but not the other.
Hal,

You may be right, but my "software industry" experience links the two in my mind. If the downloader is no longer supported, then why allow (through a side door) the ability to download the actual lens profiler?

Why not....the profile creator enables anyone to profile their own lenses if Adobe haven't done it. Once created, the option existed for the user to upload the profile to a community site, thus making it available via the downloader for other users who hadn't or didn't want to create their own. The fact that that community function isn't available doesn't detract from the fact that you can apparently still create your own lens profiles rather than depending upon someone else to do it.

The downloader's no longer supported because of a bug in Adobe Air, and the minimal number of people using the downloader (because most lens are now available natively) didn't make it worth recreating. I do still have an old copy running at the moment if anyone needs an old community profile. The creator tool is still alive and well for people to create their own profiles.

The downloader's no longer supported because of a bug in Adobe Air, and the minimal number of people using the downloader (because most lens are now available natively) didn't make it worth recreating. I do still have an old copy running at the moment if anyone needs an old community profile. The creator tool is still alive and well for people to create their own profiles.
Victoria,

I can only say that the Adobe announcement quoted in message #4 above is very poorly worded, and (unintentionally) misleading. Fortunately the profile creator is still available. I just read the manual, and profile creation is not a simple process. I'm glad that I have no zoom lenses that need profiling.

Phil Burton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back